Thread: Nikon's Spot on App.

WhiteFeather

Nikon's Spot on App.

Was just wondering if this app. is worth the download some say it works and some well you know. So does anyone here use this app in conjunction with there scope.

Re: Nikon's Spot on App.

Got the app. It has info for all the Nikon scopes not just the BDCs. Lots of factory loads are preloaded to choose from. And if you reload and chronograph your loads you can input specific bullet/fps data and it will work its magic. The only thing I have found that I have an issue with is I want to tailor a load using Remington 150gr Core Lokts (my rifle seems to prefer them) but the app does not let me use that bullet as a component. The info for that bullet is only for the factory load. I Haven't dug very deep into the app yet but I can definitely see the possibilities.

My opinion - if you have more than one BDC and or you like to use several different factory/handloads then it is worth the money. YMMV

Sent by high speed racing turtle via Tapatalk2.

Basic Member
    Tx308,
    You can pick any 150 gr bullet and put in your own BC and not use the factory load.

tyler.woodard04
    Its great if you input accurate information

WhiteFeather
    Ok just downloaded the App. Two questions though it ask in the settings menu about G1-G2? and also about gun sight height and firing angle. I assume it means the height of the scope at the center and the angle i'm at a loss at. By the way this my first Mil-Dot scope and a new learning process. Thanks.

The G-1 and/or G-2 I believe are just different methods of ddetermining the bullets BC. Bullet data will tell you if it is G-1 or G-2. Yes the height of the center of the scope over the center of the bore. I really began using the program for my 30 Bellm Striker for deer hunting. I only have a 3x9 Prostaff on the Striker, but as long as you obtain the correct FPS of the load it is dead on. Sorry, spot on. I have limited range work since I can only shoot to 200 yards but I have shot deer at long range from 175- 225 yards and the scale is spot on. The magnification setting is important also. I am a believer.
    Also, I like Sierra bullet data because they will break down the BC by velocity for the selected bullet. This helps keeping the Spot On spot on.

Basic Member
    White, The center of the bore and the center for your scope are the height numbers. Spot On is pre-set to 1.5 inches. Snow., describes going into customize load section of Spot On. It works great for handloaders. If you ever come across a caliber we don't have please drop me a note and we'll make sure we get info on it at next update. The iphone app is very handy and I'm said to say I have missed to coyotes playing with different aspects of Spot On. Heck you can enter atmospheric condition's and get wind drift! If there's a feature we don't have that you would like to see, again, let me know.
    Thanks again for the kind words, I've taken many guy's tot he range who didn't believe Spot On was for them and after blowing up a 4 inch jar of tannerite they are convert's.
    Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff

This is one example of how helpful the Spot-On app is. I have two Nikon M-223 scopes for an AR, a 1-4x and the 2-8x. I just bought a Savage .308 but don't have a scope for it yet. Found a rail at Academy and some low rings at a gun shop and put the 2-8x on the Savage temporarily. The 2-8x has a 600 BDC reticle. I'm shooting it at 40F and 6000 feet altitude. The app will show me just what the dots represent elevation wise for the .308 Fed BTHP on the M-223 scope just fine.

Joe

WhiteFeather
    I've downloaded the App. and have been playing with seems to work very well. Now just waiting to find the PC version to use,went to the Nikon web site and there out of stock in this item. As far as the scope is concerned the quality is just fantastic over my older scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
    This is one example of how helpful the Spot-On app is. I have two Nikon M-223 scopes for an AR, a 1-4x and the 2-8x. I just bought a Savage .308 but don't have a scope for it yet. Found a rail at Academy and some low rings at a gun shop and put the 2-8x on the Savage temporarily. The 2-8x has a 600 BDC reticle. I'm shooting it at 40F and 6000 feet altitude. The app will show me just what the dots represent elevation wise for the .308 Fed BTHP on the M-223 scope just fine.

Joe
    Just got back from the range after shooting the .308 Savage at 500 yards with the M-223 600 BDC reticle scope. I checked the zero at 100 yards then checked my iPhone Spot-On app for the holdover dot at 500 yards, lined it up and fired a round. Kerchunk--hit the 18" plate. Loaded up another round and same thing. I'd say that was a pretty good test--green shooter, new gun, 2-8x scope calibrated for .223 but using .308, at 6000 ft. altitude, on a cool morning. Two shots, two hits.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    Ok just downloaded the App. Two questions though it ask in the settings menu about G1-G2? and also about gun sight height and firing angle. I assume it means the height of the scope at the center and the angle i'm at a loss at. By the way this my first Mil-Dot scope and a new learning process. Thanks.
    Firing angle is angle up or down relative to horizontal. You would use if shooting down in to a gulley, for example.

Joe