Thread: Savage model 12 Palma stock direct from Savage?

Basic Member

Savage model 12 Palma stock direct from Savage?

I have a model 12 F/TR and was wondering if it is possible to order a Palma stock directly from them?
    I would call savage and ask but I'm working over seas and there's no such thing as long distance phone calls, and Internet is scarce. I thought I would ask here in case anyone here has bought a stock directly from savage.
    The reason this sounded like a good idea is that is live in Canada and getting stocks north of the border can be a real nightmare. I thought maybe going through a manufacturer like savage would be easier and possibly faster.
    Thoughts?

Thanks!

Be prepared to find out that you will pay more for that stock than what many, many complete Savage rifles would cost you.

Beautiful stock.

Have yet to ever see one come up for sale.

Basic Member
    I appreciate the reply. Also, I didn't for a second think it was going cheaper than a fully adjustable aftermarket option. Just figured since it was built for the savage target action from the get-go and I like the look and ergonomics already, it would be an interesting option. I figured it would probably be in the $600 range + or - $100 or so, but I would be able to offset that cost some by selling the stock off of my F/TR.

Selling off your F/TR stock will definitely help in recouping a couple of bucks to go towards the Palma stock. So, what kind of rifle are you planning on building to put into that stock?

Basic Member
    I already have a stock Savage model 12 F/TR in 308 with 1:12 twist that I want to put into the Palma stock. Simply for more adjustability and comfort wile shooting prone(70% of the time) or off the bench. I love the model 12 f/tr and it's showing to be an exceptional shooter so far, but I've only got 150 rounds down the tube. My only complaint is the factory stock on the f/tr. I broke my wrist a couple times and can't shoot comfortably unless I have a more vertical grip. Plus I would an adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butt. I have a custom trap gun with adjustable cheek and butt plate and once you shoulder a stock that fits you perfectly, it's hard to shoulder anything else! Same theory as once you look through a S&B PMII, all other scopes don't even appear to be in the same arena.
    All that being said, if no one here has ever attempted to buy a stock directly from savage, I may have to wait a month until I'm back in Canada to make a phone call to savage themselves.

okhunter
    I just called them earlier this week and was told retail price for that stock is $720.

Basic Member
    Thanks okhunter!
    I could probably live with that.

Odds are good that it won't fit.

The 12 F/TR / 12 F-Class have different action screw hole spacing than the 12 Benchrest and 12 Palma.

They have had plans (for some time now) to make 'em all the same, but existing guns already in circulation... are what they are.

Basic Member
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. I guess I assumed(should never do that) that all 3 screw actions would be the same. Now I'll have to measure mine and do some more research. I bought my F/TR 2 years ago, so I'm guessing that it would be the "original" screw spacing.... Hmmm. I love these actions but finding good stocks is a bit of a nightmare when you live in Canada. Maybe I'll just have to pony up the coin for a McMillan and be done with it.

thegman
    I have the same rifle for a year know. I live in the US and have gone thru the same as finding a Stock like the Palma. I did call Savage and the $720 price is correct. Most after market stocks I have found have 2 hole spacings not the 3 hole. I don't know if using the 3 hole is required or if you can get by with the 2 screws. Was just a thought. The Laminate Varmint Tactical Stock from Sharp Shooter Supply may be an option, but I need to call them to see if the can do the 3 hole reciever screw option. I anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Basic Member
    I checked and SSS will do an inlet for the target action so you'll be in luck there. Unfortunately for me, they don't ship to Canada. Which is a shame because they would get a lot of money from my friends and I in everything they sell.

thegman
    blueoval56
    Who is SSS that will do an inlet? Got it Sharp shooter supply
    Last edited by thegman; 01-07-2013 at 06:56 PM.

13. 01-14-2013, 11:52 PM
    Reason
    Read the rules: Classifieds not allowed here