Thread: Cleaning inside case necks??

acemisser

Cleaning inside case necks??

I have gotten into cleaning the inside necks of my 308 brass for comp.Shooting..

I am using a brass bore brush with some 0000 steel wool wraped around the brush
    and run it in a small battery operated drill...My question,is do you think this will
    harm the brass,by taking out a bit of brass each time I clean them...

I have been doing some accuracy testing-and I think it helps to keep a more constent
    bullet release upon fireing..And it also makes the cases size a lot easier as well,without
    all the crud in there...Any thoughts on this? I know it just adds another step in brass
    preperation...I suppose the only way to really tell is to get a new battery for my
    chrony and take some readings...

Basic Member
    At AccurateShooter.com many of the competitive shooters don't even like tumbling their brass using stainless steel pin media because it removes the carbon buildup inside the neck. From what I have read about it, the scrubbed brass causes uneven neck tension with the bullets. Some believe a metal to metal bonding is taking place between the bullet and case neck that increases over time. There is always a big debate over what case cleaning method is best to use with many leaving the insides of the neck alone.

davemuzz
    Interesting. I just take two swipes (once in, once out) with a nylon brush on my 6.5 Swede cases. Heck.....I don't even do that on my .223's 'cause when I look at the pile I have to reload of them......I just roll my eyes and say "nah....that ain't happining"!!! My .223's are actually the most accurate loads I have. What does that tell you?

acemisser
    so maybe it is a waste of time then? I didn't think about the metal to metal contact..

Interesting....And to be honest about it...I HATE case prep..I think it is the worst
    part of the reloading process...Glad I read the post..So as of not I will say
    to hell with it..lmbfbso

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Interesting. I just take two swipes (once in, once out) with a nylon brush on my 6.5 Swede cases. Heck.....I don't even do that on my .223's 'cause when I look at the pile I have to reload of them......I just roll my eyes and say "nah....that ain't happining"!!! My .223's are actually the most accurate loads I have. What does that tell you?
    I gotta tell you Dave-you are one ugly looking sum-*****

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Read this...

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...opic=3785592.0

Another one of the many, many things I learned about accuracy loading & shooting the hard way.

Take a round that you made a few days ago that's been sitting in the box. Set up the proper die & reseat the bullet another .005". if you hear a "POP" sound when you apply pressure to the press handle, it's not your elbow popping.

if you leave the inside of the neck a little dirty, you'll be better off. That doesn't mean a layer of soot....
    A sooty stain can be a good thing.
    Have fun.
    Frank in FLa
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    I guess no one told you he has a twin brother just as fugly.

Before Dave got into reloading, Dave did medical experiments on chickens for Perdue injecting them with hormones.

I wouldn't trust his reloads, he lubes his cases with chicken fat, and he's always playing pocket pool.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 11-29-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    GOOD LORD!!!
    That is one UUUUGGLLYYYY / Fugly pair of dudes.

Hey..... wait a minute..... That's my brother in law!
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    I may not be the prettiest...and I may have one ugly brother.....but at least I'm an honest worker!!! (And I am running a "special" on chicken broth!!)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I may not be the prettiest...and I may have one ugly brother.....but at least I'm an honest worker!!! (And I am running a "special" on chicken broth!!)

Now I know for sure you got the fugly twin photos from "ME" I made the above photo and posted it at Gunboards years ago. So just remember this, I made both photos to get even with the Australian Dr.X AKA Dr. Beers for what he posted. (see below)

P.S. Your still ugly.................................... BUT get your own material.

Below the Australian Dr.X AKA Dr. Beers giving me Enfield shooting "pointers".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    Its called cold welding , and it is REAL
    If anyone wants to see a recent example, look at my targets on HuntingPa.
    http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...10#Post2812810

Bill

acemisser
    laughing my ass off this morning...Thanks John

davemuzz
    Thanks BigEd!! You do nice work!!

Basic Member
    you guys are killin me! LOL

Basic Member
    Dave here is the original photo that an Australian posted in our Gunboards Enfield forum. The joke was on me because many of the Australians knew my real last name and the poster said these were my Australian cousins from Tasmania. The Australian humor here is Tasmania was the first penal colony in Australia with a small gene pool and inbreeding.

I told the Australians the only reason I wasn't an Australian was because my ancestors were faster runners than theirs. I told the Australians my ancestors came to the American colonies after the oldest of three brother fell and broke his neck at a public gathering in England. This disagreement over a horses ownership caused the two surviving brothers to book immediate passage on a ship to the American colonies.

As you can see below Dave the oldest brother was a sloppy drunk much like yourself.

I got even with the Australians outrageous verbal slander by posting a photo of my American bayonet practice koala bear target.

Last edited by bigedp51; 12-01-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Luckus
    I read an article somewhere in he past that David Tubb seats his bullets long, and just before a match he seats them to spec, to negate the welding effect. I belive their is something to this. I always run a brass or nylon brush into the case necks because I thought it was easier on the die. With the Forster sizing die for my 6 Dasher I don't use the expander ball, so this spring I am going to experiment cleaned versus not cleaned. Luckus

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckus View Post
    I read an article somewhere in he past that David Tubb seats his bullets long, and just before a match he seats them to spec, to negate the welding effect. I belive their is something to this. I always run a brass or nylon brush into the case necks because I thought it was easier on the die. With the Forster sizing die for my 6 Dasher I don't use the expander ball, so this spring I am going to experiment cleaned versus not cleaned. Luckus
    Thanks for the info..sounds interesting

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Dave here is the original photo that an Australian posted in our Gunboards Enfield forum. The joke was on me because many of the Australians knew my real last name and the poster said these were my Australian cousins from Tasmania. The Australian humor here is Tasmania was the first penal colony in Australia with a small gene pool and inbreeding.

I told the Australians the only reason I wasn't an Australian was because my ancestors were faster runners than theirs. I told the Australians my ancestors came to the American colonies after the oldest of three brother fell and broke his neck at a public gathering in England. This disagreement over a horses ownership caused the two surviving brothers to book immediate passage on a ship to the American colonies.

As you can see below Dave the oldest brother was a sloppy drunk much like yourself.

Hey now!! Just hold on a second!!! I may be a drunk.....But....Sloppy???,....Them is fightin words!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    I got even with the Australians outrageous verbal slander by posting a photo of my American bayonet practice koala bear target.

Tell 'em don't get all worked up. It's just a "cleansing" procedure.

Is that an Enfield?
    Last edited by wbm; 12-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Basic Member
    i sonic clean mine them run them though a walnut tumbers for 1-3 hours (depends on how interested i am in prepping brass. dont know if it helps them much but they are sure puuurrty

JCalhoun
    Big Ed, is that a Savage Enfield?

How clean does the inside of the necks need to be when annealing? I have always heard if anything was left in the inside of the necks when annealing, it would burn in. Or what is your process cleaning brass, inside and out before annealing.

hub
    I use birchwood casey case cleaner.It cleans the case inside and out rather nicely. Its good stuff made for the purpose of cleaning brass. It removes the soot and any lube used for resizing inside and outside.
    Last edited by hub; 12-14-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Basic Member
    I recently bought an ultrasonic case cleaner. When the inside of the necks started coming out as clean as the outside it concerns me a lot. I am thinking about using graphite neck lube to treat my cases before seating bullets.

I would appreciate any feedback from all ya'll.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

acemisser
    I have done a lot of testing and find it makes no difference...Same as primer pockets.

Anyone using a progressive press does not do all that cleaning..Like weighing ever

powder charge..No need to do it..