Thread: Axis gen II in stainless

brasse

Axis gen II in stainless

I am up in the state of washington this week, dropped into Cabela's to get some scope mounts.

I was surprised to see a Savage Axis in 30-06 with all stainless action and barrel for only $329, said it was a Gen II Axis.

How good is this Axis?? I wanted a stainless action, ended up getting a 16 last week. Don't remember seeing the good trigger but I was looking to immediately dump the barrel and put a custom 6.8 barrel on.

The tought I had was this would make a great starting hunting gun, the Axis gen II in stainless with a 17 to 20 inch stainless Striker barrel in 6.8 SPC II would be accurate with zero kick and under $550.

My grandson already got my Ruger 10/22, now he wants to hunt and there is no way he is going to get my model 16 when I get the match grade 6.8 barrel.

Basic Member
    I don't believe there is a such thing as a gen 2 axis. Their was the edge which is now called the axis. So maybe that's what he meant.

brasse
    I read it on the Cabela's and Savage sticker, Gen II

No clue what the Gen II is all about, but a stainless Axis isn't anything new as they were announced at last years SHOT Show. Savage regularly does "special runs" for major wholesalers and retailers, so unless there's something obviously different with it mechanically I'm going to guess Cabela's just wanted a fancy sticker to make people think it was better than the Axis everyone else is selling.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

thomae
    Perhaps it has the (allegedly) updated, slightly shorter, stock. Probably also has the multipiece mainspring.