Thread: Savage 220 action torque specs

Jm59

Savage 220 action torque specs

Hi guys,

I just bought a 220 slug gun and I noticed that the action screws were slightly loose. I have a fat wrench and from what I understand the torque specs should be 30-35 in-lb's? If this is correct, the next question has to do with the sequence of using the wrench. There are three screws, front(muzzle end), middle and rear. I read that you do the front first and then the rear screw second. I heard that the middle screw should be snug but less than the front and rear? Does this sound right?

Any help is appreciated!

Jm59
    Actually I have to correct myself, the middle screw is the rear action screw and the screw that I originally referred to as the rear is the trigger guard screw. I torgued all three to 30in-lbs starting from the front to the rear action screw, then finally to the trigger guard screw.

30in-lbs may be a little more than what I consider to be hand tight but I think it will be okay. BTW, these screws were really loose when I first checked. Whether or not a torque qrench is really neede for this, who knows, probably not.
    Last edited by Jm59; 11-27-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: mistake

Westcliffe01
    The rear one is just a "wood" screw, don't overdo it ! Yes, my action screws were loose too and I got really lousy groups initially. I don't have one of the screwdriver torque wrenches, but I tightened my action screws good and tight, after loosening them and making sure the recoil lug was seated.

Jm59
    When you say rear one, you mean the third one furthest back, the trigger guard screw, correct?

Westcliffe01
    Yes. Just unscrew it and you will see.

Jm59
    Thanks