I have been lurking these forums for quite a while as I was trying to figure out over the last 5 or 6 months what I would purchase for my first high power. I'm a lefty and I wanted a bolt action so I was pretty limited on selections. I was put off by Savage at first because I did not believe you could get a good shooter for the lower price of the Savages. I looked hard at the remi's and browning. I knew this gun would be something I wanted to customize so I kept coming back to this forum as well as help from the Google's. I finally pulled the trigger, no pun, and ordered a model 11 trophy hunter xp .243 with the prostaff glass in freaking left handed bolt. My first truly left handed gun, and no, ambi guns do not count as the casing still ejects across your face.

That being said I have finally joined this brotherhood and am looking at what steps I should take for the new rifle. I have been doing research but I still get confused trying to read through all the models and the different steps done to the different rifles. I understand what bedding the barrel is, but the question is should I do this. I plan on switching out the .243 for .308 and going back and forth depending on what I am planning on shooting.

So far I have installed a Harris on it, and I am currently waiting on my fluted bolt from SSS to get here. I look forward to learning as much as I can about long range shooting and other odds and ends. I am also new to coyote calling and haven't had much luck, so I will probably be in that section the most for now. I can get them to answer me back, which is cool, but I'm guessing you don't really want them calling back to much.

I live in Nebraska so I should be able to put down at least one coyote I would think.

My biggest question would have to be about timing and truing the action. My savage is a little sticky on the upward movement on the bolt and I have read that this will fix this problem. My question is how much does it smooth out the action. I would love for it to feel smooth like glass.

I look forward to chatting with you guys.

Ray