Thread: action photos...

Basic Member

action photos...

Guys I am having a real hard time finding, in stock, anything that I can use to mount a Leupold VX-1 scope to my lefty pre-accutrigger 110 .30-06. If you guys have a setup that works well for you, please post a photo, I have looked in the photo section down toward the bottom of the main forum page, but I am using this as a mid range hunting platform, 100-250 yds, and it looks like a bunch of bench rest stuff in there. I guess mainly I having a hard time commiting to buying a $40-60 mount for my left bolt top loader without a verification of how it will work.

Thanks,

Brandon

Basic Member
    why not go two piece?

Basic Member
    I actually did scythe, I just wanted an idea what the long action rifles look like with the typical one or two piece mounts with standard length scopes. I don't think about it with the removable box mag rifles, but witht eh internal one I just want to see what kind of room there is. If that helps.

Oh, I ordered the Burris reversible two piece with their signature rings, dovetail. And a recoil pad.

http://i.imgur.com/VXkk0.jpg

not the greatest picture, but this is a redfield mount on a real old savage. 1st gen I think. It had a little custom work done before I found it in a pawn shop. it's a 257AI in a long action. no issues ejecting. Scope is a nitrex tr1 6-20x50, and it's huge.

Basic Member

two piece on a 110 action.. loads nice and easy on it. Scope is a Bushnell 3200 elite 4-12x40AO
    Last edited by scythefwd; 11-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Basic Member
    That is what I was hoping to find, but I was late, the Redfield mount that is, there was one on Ebay. I had hoped on a one piece, but no where has them in stock. I guess I want to have some adjustability for eye relief, I wear glasses. Apparently the VX-1 that I will be mounting has a little extra in that arena.

Oh and absolutely beautiful rifles ya'll.

Basic Member
    using an offset ring will allow for that, to an extent.

Look at the EGW rail works for both rt.&left hand models and causes no interference. $40 right from them click on their banner right here on the site.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage

Basic Member
    Actually, bsekf, I ordered the Burris stuff from that sight yesterday. I think with the reversible Burris bases and their medium rings I might be good...they will be here this Friday, so you guys will know when I do, I will get the pics up that evening.

Brandon

leupold makes a copy of the redfield mount. it's currently oos at midway, and the stock photo looks wrong at a couple of other sights I looked at......

Basic Member
    Grey, I saw them too, and being OOS. I thought it would be cool to have a vintage mount on a vintage gun, but only if it worked well and wasn't mechanicly a problem, and in a southpaw variety.

ellobo
    No one asked if this rifle has the flat back receiver. I doubt it but if it does have the flat rear you will have to account for that when ordering a mounting rail.

Ell Lobo

americanstrat98

DNZ's Long action One piece bases will work for you also, with less scope stress than two pieces. just my 2c

Basic Member
    Alright, so here is the mounting with the Burris bases (dovetailed) and their Signature rings and a VX-1 Leupold 3x9-40. Now it just needs a little time at the range to zero and I should be good. I have a question regarding floating, for a hunting rifle with an honest 200-250 yd. shot usually, will floating the barrel be that much of a gain in not only accuracy, but consistency? I currently cannot get a dollar to slide but maybe its own width down the barrel/forearm area. I have floated a barrel before, so I am familiar with the process, I was just wondering if it was going to be a noticable difference for a hunting rifle at those distances. Thanks folks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Oh and Strat, that is a pretty gun.

I would float it down to the barrel nut, just like all savage factory rifles are down. You could have big poi issues with temperature changes if you don't. When your barrel is floated, you elliminate that possibility.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...1__?N=21351230

Here's a full length without spending a fortune
    Last edited by txbdyguard; 12-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2scars View Post
    Alright, so here is the mounting with the Burris bases (dovetailed) and their Signature rings and a VX-1 Leupold 3x9-40. Now it just needs a little time at the range to zero and I should be good. I have a question regarding floating, for a hunting rifle with an honest 200-250 yd. shot usually, will floating the barrel be that much of a gain in not only accuracy, but consistency? I currently cannot get a dollar to slide but maybe its own width down the barrel/forearm area. I have floated a barrel before, so I am familiar with the process, I was just wondering if it was going to be a noticable difference for a hunting rifle at those distances. Thanks folks.

[IMG][/IMG]
    That looks exactly like the Leupold 2 piece mount system. In fact if you erased the label on your scope I would have bet you that it was a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x-40 with the Leupold 2 piece mount.

Warne Maxima bases and Warne 30MM rings

ellobo
    Floating the barrel will make a difference, especially at the longer distances. Easy to do, just reseal the wood after you sand out the barrel channel.

El Lobo

Mach2
    Warne Maxima bases and Warne 30MM rings[/QUOTE]

TX fill us in on that bolt and 30mm scope. What interested you in the bigger 30mm scopes. It has a very long tube. I see you added a new extended bolt handle. How does that setup carry in the field?