Thread: Savage 11 FCNS for $560 a good deal?

Roger SS

Savage 11 FCNS for $560 a good deal?

Brand new here and learning. I'm interested in the 7mm-08 cartridge and want to get a great shooter. I see this model has the accu-stock and accu-trigger. Two important things I understand.
    Is $560 a decent price for this model?

Basic Member
    If new that is a good price. You look around, you may score a used model a little cheaper. The word around here is that the accustock, although a pretty cool idea, may or may not really add that much to the accuracy. Savage has such great barrels, good triggers, and the floating bolt head....that's really where the money is. But if you want it, buy it and enjoy....that's my philosophy.

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    If new that is a good price. You look around, you may score a used model a little cheaper. The word around here is that the accustock, although a pretty cool idea, may or may not really add that much to the accuracy. Savage has such great barrels, good triggers, and the floating bolt head....that's really where the money is. But if you want it, buy it and enjoy....that's my philosophy.
    Appeciate that. What is the idea actually? Does the accustock add something other than a little weight? Less flex in the stock?

ellobo
    2 things to look at. Does it have an third screw under the stock other than the two receiver mounting screws. If it does then it is probably an older acustock. The newer ones do not have that extra screw. Savage decided it wasn't worth the trouble and folks were having trouble adjusting that extra screw. If it is an older one then it might have a 1-11.5 rate of twist in the barrel which is not optimum for using heavier bullets like 140's. I am talking old-new stock, a rifle that is new but sat in a store for a long time.

El Lobo

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by ellobo View Post
    2 things to look at. Does it have an third screw under the stock other than the two receiver mounting screws. If it does then it is probably an older acustock. The newer ones do not have that extra screw. Savage decided it wasn't worth the trouble and folks were having trouble adjusting that extra screw. If it is an older one then it might have a 1-11.5 rate of twist in the barrel which is not optimum for using heavier bullets like 140's. I am talking old-new stock, a rifle that is new but sat in a store for a long time.

El Lobo
    Thanks. Very helpful info. I was able to verify it has a 9.5 twist. I'll be buying this rifle online so i don't know about the screws in the stock. I'll go to my LGS and check one out. Third screw under stock-no good. When would you adjust that screw? Just to tighten the receiver mounting screws? Or is there some adjusting to the stock the shooter can make?

Basic Member
    I bought my 11 FCNS in .260 Remington for $500 out the door locally and think I got a good deal. It's a great rifle and I like the Accustock WAY better than the Hogue that came on my Remington 700 SPS.

Roger SS
    Let me try to take a poll here. Who prefers the Accustock and why?
    Is it worth the extra money? Seems like almost $200 more.

Basic Member
    I like it for a factory synthetic. It is light, stiff and kind of comfortable. I'll keep it for a hunting stock but I'm looking for a better range/bench stock.

Roger SS
    Well, decided on the Savage 11 FCNS .308 for $519 at Buds.
    The 7mm-08 was $560

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by ellobo View Post

El Lobo
    This