Thread: Savage Model 11 Hunter XP Trigger Change?

Cable810

Savage Model 11 Hunter XP Trigger Change?

Is it possiable to take the stock trigger out of my Model 11 and swap in a Accu Trigger or any anftermarket trigger? I really don't like the pull on the stock trigger. I think its to hard and I've pulled alot of my shots....

Thanks,

Toyoda
    I put a timney on my stevens 200 (non accutrigger) and it was night and day. Did the piano
    I still wish I had an accutrigger though.

I am trying to find a base model long action that has the accutrigger for future builds.

Team Savage
    I don't beleive you can use an Accutrigger in a non-Accutrigger Savage action. You can go with a Savage SSS Competition trigger, Rifle Basix, or Timney trigger. These aftermarket triggers are a great improvement over the 4.5+ factory pull I've measured on current Savage non-Accutrigger models.

The Savage Model 111 Trophy Hunter is the LA base model with an Accutrigger, synthetic DBM assembly and trigger guard. I currently use it as my base action for builds. You can sell the Nikon 3-9x 40 BDC rifle scope (ProStaff version) online as a new take-off for around $75. The synthetic DBM assembly will fit any current Savage CF stock with DBM cut-out. The synthetic DBM assembly is several ounces lighter than the metal DBM assembly if reducing weight is a goal. You can also use the metal magazine box and follower in an aftermarket CF blind magazine stock. If this is the case, I also sell the synthetic stock, DBM frame and bottom cap as new take-off parts. I don't like the bottom/trigger bolt release, but that is the direction Savage seems to be going on models with an Accutrigger.
    Last edited by jpdown; 11-24-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Cable810
    I'll have to look into those triggers. I don't have the Nikon scope I have the bushnell 3-9x40

Basic Member
    It depends on which version of the old trigger you have. I've gotten my 3 screw trigger adjusted down to 2.75lbs and breaking clean. If you want to go lighter than that.. you ahve plenty of options out here. I have a source for plenty of the reduced trigger reset springs, but adjusting sear engagment makes a huge difference too.

rgburrill
    I have to ask - did you intend to buy an 11 without the Accutrigger or was that a mistake. That's the one thing that ticks me off about the Savage packages. It's frustrating to read about the Model 11/111 and get excited and then find out too late that the packages screw you over by getting rid of the Accutrigger in the standard XP and the Accustock in all the XPs.

Basic Member

Savage Model 11 Hunter XP Trigger Change?

I cut about 1.5 coils off mine and now it's about 2-3lbs.

Quick and easy fix. If you cut too much you can't go back... It will engage the firing pin when you put the bolt into place, bump the rifle etc. start small and work your way until you like it.

If you don't know what your doing, then please don't attempt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I don't beleive you can use an Accutrigger in a non-Accutrigger Savage action. You can go with a Savage SSS Competition trigger, Rifle Basix, or Timney trigger. These aftermarket triggers are a great improvement over the 4.5+ factory pull I've measured on current Savage non-Accutrigger models.

The Savage Model 111 Trophy Hunter is the LA base model with an Accutrigger, synthetic DBM assembly and trigger guard. I currently use it as my base action for builds. You can sell the Nikon 3-9x 40 BDC rifle scope (ProStaff version) online as a new take-off for around $75. The synthetic DBM assembly will fit any current Savage CF stock with DBM cut-out. The synthetic DBM assembly is several ounces lighter than the metal DBM assembly if reducing weight is a goal. You can also use the metal magazine box and follower in an aftermarket CF blind magazine stock. If this is the case, I also sell the synthetic stock, DBM frame and bottom cap as new take-off parts. I don't like the bottom/trigger bolt release, but that is the direction Savage seems to be going on models with an Accutrigger.
    i was told today after buying a model 11 that since the bolt release was in trigger guard there are no after market stocks for these guns. is this true?

thanks

stangfish
    You have what savage offers. I got a purdy one from Numrich.

Team Savage
    There may be some small fit issues around the trigger guard and to make room for the bolt release arm and button, but nothing you can't fix yourself with a dremel tool and some bedding epoxy. I put a Savage TH XP action into an older Savage 14 American Classic CF stock without any problems and no changes required. You must have been talking to the parts department at Savage Arms. They won't recommend or sell you anything other than stock parts for the original rifle based on serial number. After arguing with a Savage rep for several minutes who said it would not work, I had to agree to a "no return or exchange" flag when I placed an order for a metal trigger guard with front bolt release to replace the plastic one which is a POS. Most likely because of liability issues.
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.