My recent firearm projects have involved picking cartridges that would work relatively well in short barrels so that the overall length of the weapons would be reasonable for use with suppressors. These include an AR-15 in 300 Fireball with a 10.5" barrel (SBR) for subsonic loads, an AR-15 in 6.8 SPC with a 14.5" barrel with pinned suppressor mount (non SBR) for supersonic loads, and a T/C Encore in 7mm-08 with a 16" barrel and folding stock for a "truck gun". These suppressed weapons are used for predator hunting. I have not built a suppressed weapon for big game hunting because of the need for longer barrels to gain the advantage of magnum cartridges.

I now want to build a suppressed weapon for mule deer and elk hunting. I looked at factory and custom options and have settled on a Savage build which would be my first Savage.

After talking to Mr. Moreo, I was going to purchase a Savage Weather Warrior and change the barrel to one that has a contour and resulting muzzle diameter to support 5/8"-24 tpi for a suppressor mount until I went to a local sporting goods store and shouldered one. I did not like the feel of the stock even though I prefer stainless/composite weapons.

Now I am looking into just purchasing a Savage Action and assorted components and sending the package to Mr. Moreo for his magic. I want a stainless weapon with detachable magazine and AccuTrigger in 7 WSM. The closest action I find on the Savage website is number 18521 but it is carbon steel and has a hinged floorplate. Please tell me which way to turn. I assume I am back to buying a complete weapon and changing out the barrel, stock, etc.?