Thread: 220 swift series j

bradleybojangles

220 swift series j

hey guys i need some help...i have a model 112 series j in .220 swift...however it has a stainless fluted bull barrell, and a stock that is gray with black webbing on it which seems to be a bell n carlson stock but its not marked anywhere on the stock....anybody have any idea on value or how many are out there...the only ones i can find in this caliber in this model are blued and with a woodstock....any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

CJnWy
    You've got a parts gun.......

bradleybojangles
    Ok explain that... How can i have parts gun?

CJnWy
    how long have you owned it and who did you buy it from?

bradleybojangles
    6 years i bought it from a local dealer

CJnWy
    The barrels on the J actions where blued and the stocks wood=The barrel and stock on yours have been replaced somewhere in the last 30+ years. How does it shoot?
    I need to update this pic but a J action should look something like these. Notice the middle unit has had barrel replacent....Numerous times actually.

Last edited by CJnWy; 11-23-2012 at 11:00 PM.

bradleybojangles
    So someone made a savage single shot reciever and made a barrel and stamped savages name on it!! The stock i can see but why go to the effort and put savages name on it? It touches holes at 100 yards and is sub moa at 300+..... The barrel and reciever is stainless... I dont get what is goin on

A J era action would not have a Stainless fluted barrel. It would be a glossy blued like the ones you have seen.

What CJnWy is saying (and I agree) is that. A J action, Stainless fluted barrel, and a spider webbed stock is not likely to be a factory configuration. It sounds like it was assembled from parts.

Value ranges from whatever you bought it for to whatever you can sell it for. I'd guess in the $500 range or so.

I had a 112 in 220Swift. It was a great barrel. Pounded my first antelope to the ground.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

CJnWy
    Ya sorry for the confusion. The action is a Savage J action, The barrel is probably a factory replcement from more recient times and the stock a B&C? Sounds like you like it and its a shooter so its worth what you would sell it for or if you have to sell what someone else would pay for it......$500 sounds high but that dont mean it aint worth it!
    Hey wait a minute you said the action is stainless too??????

bradleybojangles
    yea stainless reciever and a stainless barrel.... Thats what i dont get.... If the J series didnt come in stainless then why does it have 112 series J stamped in the barrel?? Im at a loss.

CJnWy
    That why I asked you how long you have owned it. If you bought it new then we have something solid to go off of but god only knows what has been done to it over the years!
    The stainless action is odd for the times, just for grins what is the screw spacing? What are the first 5 digets in the serial number?
    The barrel too is odd, has it been crowned in any way and are the flutes the same as the new Savages?
    A couple of pictures would be great.....We like pictures!

bradleybojangles
    Do u mean scope mount screwspacing? The flutes have a sharp edge on them... Not rounded like most rifles.... No crowning or buttoning.. The serial number is c1905.... Thats the first 5....how do i post pics

CJnWy
    No I mean the action screws. Well the serial number puts the action in the time frame.
    You can find other thread on how to post pics,it aint hard once you figure it out but the easiest way is to email them to me and I could post them for ya cliffdjohn@hotmail.com

bradleybojangles
    No coatings that i can tell and the finish is actually a rough texture... Not smooth like most are these days!! I sent those pics to your email

CJnWy
    Pics dont show much but looks like the barrel/action have been blasted? Better pics of the barrel stamping would be great. Does it have the target base holes by the barrel stamp?

bradleybojangles
    Its not been painted an the stock is one piece.... It does have the holes in the barrel at the base ... Ill email pics this evening of the stamping.... It may have been blasted but the bare metal isnt pitting either... It doesnt seem to have any coatings at all just straight metal

Put up part of your serial number on that rifle and see if you can start from there.

CJnWy
    Already been posted=c1905.... Puts it in the time frame.
    What part of the country are you from Brad?

Banned
    looks like it was done my craftguard in iowa. they do ss coatings and they look very authentic.they glass bead them before they do the finish. ive had several done by them. or someone may have just bead blasted it.

bradleybojangles
    Ok i did a magnet test ... My dads a machinist and said stainless steel is nit magnetic and the magnet stuck to it so it looks like its been media blasted.... My next question in did they come with fluted barrels from savage? And im from southern ohio so it likes to chew up the varmints around here!! Where would i go about finding a stock for this rifle.... Which ones would fit?

CJnWy
    A magnet is going to stick to a stainless steel barrel/action too, not sure how to tell the difference but a magnet aint it. I could post pics of the barrel but it is clearly a blasted crome moly J barrel that has been blasted and flutted. Not sure what is keeping it from rusting??
    If the action screw spacing is 4.53 your going to have to have one custom inletted or convert a short action as only a J or mid action stocks will fit and they aint made them for years!