I bought a Savage yesterday in 25-06. It has a factory made varmint barrel, with what looks like a factory crown. On the barrel it is stamped "Savage 112R Series J" The action is a flat rear long action with a little higher luster of blue than most older actions I have seen. It has a 4-screw trigger and has standard 5.062 screw spacing.

It is a bling mag model and has a bolt head thats a tad bit different than I have seen. It is the same as the current models (not the head the very early 110s that had the different barrels) except that between the bolt head and the front baffle on the left-top side (as looking down on the bolt in the open position) there is a bit of the baffle milled away and pin protruding from the bolt head into this gap preventing the bolt from rotating the wrong direction when in the action (I hope some of that makes sense).

The barrel has either had the headspace altered or is not original to the gun. The script is rotated down just a tad and the rear sight holes are not at the 12 o'clock position. Speaking of screw holes there are two screw holes with plugs about where a rear sight should be but nothing for a front sight. As said above it appears to be a factory type crown and the barrel is 26".

The stock is wood (birch or walnut is my guess) and is of the varmint/target style of the older 112's I have seen pictured here over the last few years from time to time. Serial number is D105xxx. Also the safety's grip lines (for lack of a better word) are much wider than models of the last 15 years, there are only 6 cross lines rather than like 15 or so on the standard (non accutrigger) safety buttons.

So all of that being said:

Is this a 112?
What is a 112R?
Why would the barrel have only rear sight holes since it does not appear to be shortened?
Any idea of Year of Manufacture?

I will try to get some pics up, but my wife has my computer today so I cant link up my camera, so maybe by the weekend. Thanks everyone in advance.