Thread: Santa was good!

MDHogHunter

Santa was good!

Santa came early in Western MD today!

My girlfriend spoiled me with a Savage Model 11 in .243

I have some questions on setting up this rifle. I tried the search with little help.

The Leupold bases didn't work, as the rear base hit the bolt. What mounts do you recommend? Can a large power scope fit this rifle? I'd like to use a Meuller 8.5x25x50 scope, will high mounts be necessary?

Anything else I should know about the Model 11? With the 22" barrel, does it prefer heavy or light bullets? Summertime brings lots of groundhog hunting where the lighter bullets would be nice, but not all necessary.

I have a Model 10FP in .223 and it sure is a shooter! I'm excited about putting another Savage in a cabinet full of Remington's! They are getting jealous.

Many thanks, looking forward to a great gun

Basic Member

Re: Santa was good!

There are two different Leupold standard bases for the Savage, round or flat at the rear.

A large scope will fit fine with Leupold high or extra high rings.

The rifling twist of the barrel will determine what bullet weights it will shoot well. The barrel length doesn't matter as far as bullet weight.
    Stevens 200, .260/ Sin Arms Brux #7, 24"/ Stockade Woodchuck/ Rifle Basix SAV1/ Nikon Buckmaster 4x-14x-40mm

Senderofan

From Savage's own site...looks like you have either a 1:9" twist or 1:9.25" twist rate. Looking at a table on the 6mm BR Forum...the 9" twist says up to 105 grain bullets. If you had a 10" twist...that's supposedly good up to 100 grains. The list said it's a "General Twist Rate Table." So..it sounds like your rifle will probably be decent all around...but may do best with a little heavier bullet. You'll have to do some experimenting to find out which is the best bullet...and load for your rifle.

Enjoy!! Great present!

Wayne

Uncle Jack

I would start with lighter bullets (70grn to 85grn) with faster burning powders that will burn more efficiently in a 22" barrel than 100 grainers with a case full of H4831 or 4350.

kslefty

Try some 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over 42-43gr of varget and a CCI BR primer, yet to see a stevens or savage that does not love this load.

A friend gave me some loaded 243s with 55 gr Nosler BT and 43 gr of Varget and my 243 loves them. Three shot groups all in one hole. I will be loading some more of them for sure.

MDHogHunter

Sounds good!

What COL with this Varget/Nosler combo?

Danley

Quote Originally Posted by MDHogHunter
    The Leupold bases didn't work, as the rear base hit the bolt.
    If its the 2pc base flip the base around and it should work ... also the tall rings should be fine

MDHogHunter

Little Update:

Went with Warne bases and Leupold rings. Makes for a much better fit with the Warne base. I have a Weaver Classic V-Series 6x24x42 Varmiter scope set for a January 5th delivery. Really excited to try this scope, with a bunch of good reviews.

I did a good cleaning this morning, and tested the trigger with the Snap Cap in. Crisp, clean breaking 2lb 9oz. Consistant, so no need to adjust the accu-trigger.

I gathered some ammo to test and see before I really indulge in the reloading:
    58 gr. Hornady Vmax
    55gr. Winchester Silvertips
    85gr. Federal's Barne's Triple Shocks

So, I'm off to a good start. I will continue updating with progress.