Thread: youth axis stock?

S C B

youth axis stock?

Does anyone know what the difference between the axis reg and axis youth stock? I just saw that they are now making the youth in left hand with a 20" barrel in 223. I've been looking for a LH compact bolt gun. All the specs I can find online refer to barrel length and overall length. I have yet to see a youth model and am wondering if the stocks would interchange so I could swap them if I could find a reg. stock.

Not knowing for sure, I would bet that the LOP would be shorter on the youth stock.....

Basic Member
    I'm guessing it's somewhere near 2" difference between standard and youth stock. I just cut down my standard stock for a better LOP.

Gmac5
    The last axis i bought,about a month ago ,at walmart,had a stock just 1" shorter and was NOT marked youth?
    Ah its must be a collector 1 off piece , no , just kiddin. I do not know why it is an inch shorter though, the last youth i worked on was 2" shorter.

A few months ago savage made the axis stocks 1" shorter in the LOP and this is for all new axis production. I believe they did this to make the stock more rigid. I do have an axis youth in 223 with the 20" barrel purchased last year. What do you want to know about it?

Gmac5
    Do you know how making the stock 1" shorter in the butt makes it stiffer? I just measured &,counted all internal rails ,supports, wrist area ,trig guard area and nothing is diff but the length of pull. Maybe the type of plastic is diff?
    The bean counters probably had to make up the diff. In cost converting over to the multi spring set-up, so they cut the amount of plastic per stock!
    I really wish i knew the answer.

Gmac5...No, that was just a guess on my part. There was a thread on this forum sometime back about them making the newer stocks 1" shorter. before I bought mine I shouldered the standard LOP stock and it felt very long to me, so I ordered a youth and it fits me perfect. It's possible with all the issues with the stock flexing that the factory changed the design somehow to improve the product. Does yours seem stiffer or just shorter?

Gmac5
    Just shorter, i did measure almost all points ,internal and external . I dont use the stocks and have sold ,traded many but now i have 8-10 just hanging around , so its easy to compare. I do see what you mean the long std stock is a bit long for hunting,as im 5'7" and the new 1" shorter stock fits me better.
    Thanks Gary

I mentioned this a while back when I bought my 308 axis vs my 270. When I ordered a new replacement stock they sent me the older, longer one despite assurances I would get the new one--so if you order a replacement be SURE to specifically request the new one and don't do anything with it until you're sure you got the right one--my guess is they have bajillions of the old ones they are going to flush out of inventory.