Thread: Questions about the Boyd's stock.

lurchenstein

Questions about the Boyd's stock.

Hey guys, I am new to the board but not to firearms. I have a 110 in 223. I am looking in to getting a Boyd's stock and I am wondering what stock to get. I am not sure if the featherlight thumbhole is the one or the varmint thumbhole. My goal of this build is to make a really good target shooter. I already have trigger work done next is the stock and finally the barrel. Unless there is a better stock out there. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
    Last edited by lurchenstein; 11-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.

seanhagerty
    I bought a boyds varmit thumbhole. I like it. I had it bedded. I opened up the barrel channel to accept a varmit barrel. I am quite happy with it.

Sean

Basic Member
    i bought a boyds varmint thumb hole for my friends rifle last year liked it so much i got my wife also .they feeel good and both fit prefect

lurchenstein
    I am guessing that the though, that the varmint thumbhole is made more for the heavy bull barrels but i am not really sure.

seanhagerty
    It's barrel channel wasnt large enough to fit a bull barrel in it. You will have to open the barrel channel up a bit to get it in there.

lurchenstein
    That is great, actually I do not have one at this time. I have a standard barrel on it. Will I have to have the stock bedded or is it pretty much a direct bolt on to the firearm?

seanhagerty
    It is ready to mount to your action. I nedded mine cause i want to shoot comps and figured I needed it.

Sean

lurchenstein
    That is honestly my plan as well. Do you think it is worth having done or do you think i should wait till i get the new barrel? It is going to be a while before i get the new barrel and I would like to have somewhat of a chance competing. Again thank you for the help.

seanhagerty
    I would plan on bedding it. Wait til you get the new barrel, that way you can have the barrel channel opened up at the same time, if needed.

stangfish
    Bolt it up and see how it shoots. If it shoots poorly try the action scew torque method, if it improves, bed and pillar block it when the need arises.

lurchenstein
    Cool thanks again guys for the help