Thread: Help me learn about my Model 99

Hornet2295

Help me learn about my Model 99

Ok, here it goes I have a Model 99 D (I think) in .243. The serial number is B037233, it has a tang safety which tells me it was made in the late 50's or 60's maybe? I have been looking all over the gun for the Boss Lever Code and have found two stamps in an oval on the each side of the barrel. On the left side of the barrel is 27 in an oval with no letters. On the right side of the barrel is the number 9 with what looks like a very small "s" next to it. On the left side of the receiver where the stock meets the receiver just above the lever is the number 25 stamped. The barrel is 21 inches and the front sight is raised and set in a dove tail. It also has the round counter on for the magazine. It also has made in Westfield Mass on the barrel.

I have taken the gun to Cabela's and they are just as puzzled as I am. I am hopping that someone here can help me.

Thanks

Hornet2295

Hornet2295
    Ok I am new to this what is showth...Id-date-please mean?

thomae
    It is a hyperlink. What that means is that if you double click on it, your it will take your browser to another page on the internet. In this case, it will take you to an earlier savageshooters.com thread in which it explains how to get the answer to your question.

The link that shows is an abbreviated link, but the full URL is below. You can also copy the below url (without the quotation marks) and paste it into your browser's address window.

"http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?19513-What-is-my-build-date-please"
    Last edited by thomae; 12-02-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: show entire URL instead of abbreviated hyperlink

The B letter prefix puts it somewhere in the early-mid 1970's. Savage started using the letter prefix to identify guns made after the 1968 National Firearms Act went into effect.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain