Thread: Best day ( so far) with my 111 .270

Muddly

Best day ( so far) with my 111 .270

I've been doing alot of work with her lately and as the barrel breaks in her accuracy has been steadily improving. Current round count is 780( for me, I bought the rifle very slightly used) The other day i went to the range with the load I plan on using for deer and bear this year. A Sierra 130 gr pro Hunter over a good stiff load of H4831SC in neck sized Rem cases lit with Rem 9 1/2 primers. OAL 3.265 ( she has a short throat) chrono'd velocity is a flat 3000 fps. This load usually hovers around the inch mark for 3 at 100, but this time the first 3 rounds were 1/2 inch the 2nd were 1/2 inch and the 3rd was also 1/2 inch. This is measured center to center. The rifle was an impulse by last year and the caliber was one I never gave a second's thought to.She's bone stock and mounts a Leupy 4x12. Its hard to ask for more...

Gotta love a Savage. Sounds like you got the kinks worked out good luck on the deer and bear. The Pro Hunter is a very good bullet I would also try the Game King though as it has a Boat tail and a better B.C. to deliver better down range performance. Also some of the smallest groups I have ever shot were with Sierra Game kings.

Basic Member
    I love the .270....have a couple myself. Congrats and good shooting! I would say that after 780 rounds, you know that rifle like the back of your hand. Most people will NEVER shoot that many rounds through a centerfire rifle in their entire lives.

I too shoot most of my game with a 111fcxp3 in .300win mag. put origional scope on an old savage/stevens 87D semi auto.22. where it belongs. Mounted a LEUPOLD vxII with leupold rings and bases. DARN FINE RIFLE.i too shoot game kings except for the 220gr.rn. hornady. Be hard pressed to fine a better rifle at twice the price. NN

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.