Thread: Savage HP 22

Ralph

Savage HP 22

I have a Savage HP22 serial number 167909 that is in very good condition. Is this a model 1899 or 99? I think is was made in 1915. I need a rough value to insure it on my homeowners policy. Thanks

papawplinks
    I am new to this as well, but the year on your rifle sounds right. It's my understanding that the "model 1899" and the "model 99" are the same model. "1899" over the years simply got shortened to "99." I also have a Savage 1899 (or 99 if you prefer) in the HP22 caliber. Mine was made in 1914, and your serial number makes sense compared to mine. As far as a value, I would have to let someone more knowledgable than me help you with that. There are many things that go into the value (condition, type of stock, checkering, takedown, special order, etc, etc) that is completely over my head. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I'm sure one of these gentlemen will help.

Ralph

Model 1899 HP22

Quote Originally Posted by papawplinks View Post
    I am new to this as well, but the year on your rifle sounds right. It's my understanding that the "model 1899" and the "model 99" are the same model. "1899" over the years simply got shortened to "99." I also have a Savage 1899 (or 99 if you prefer) in the HP22 caliber. Mine was made in 1914, and your serial number makes sense compared to mine. As far as a value, I would have to let someone more knowledgable than me help you with that. There are many things that go into the value (condition, type of stock, checkering, takedown, special order, etc, etc) that is completely over my head. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I'm sure one of these gentlemen will help.
    Thanks for the help. The stock and forearm are smooth with no checkering. It is also a take down model wiith the screw off barrel. The blueing is original and my best guess would be over 90%. The wood has minor scratches from use but must have been in a case or not used alot because nothing severe.
    I hope someone can give me a range for price.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Ralph; 11-26-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Ralph

More information on 1899 HP22 condition

The stock and forearm are smooth with no checkering. It is also a take down model wiith the screw off barrel. The blueing is original and my best guess would be over 90%. The wood has minor scratches from use but must have been in a case or not used alot because nothing severe.
    I hope someone can give me a range for price.
    Thanks

papawplinks
    Not that it helps you much, but I was told my rifle would bring around $400 to $500 on a used gun auction. Mine has some good features and some bad ones. I inherited this rifle from my mother. The metal has at some point been reblued (I remember my father doing that,) and the checkering was slightly sanded. Both of these decrease the value. However mine has a pistol grip, as well as checkering, which increases the value, as these were special order items on this rifle.
    Also, I will pass along some info that was given to me:
    "A bit more information on the model and cartridge. Savage Arms came out originally with the model 1895 - though it was made via contract by Marlin from 1895 to 1897 or so. In 1899 Savage opened their first factory in Utica, NY and started producing the model 1899 in several configurations. The 1899H featherweight model with a hard rubber buttplate, straight stock and 20" thin barrel was introduced in 1905, and the takedown feature also showed up around that time as a catalogued option. There were a number of other special order options ranging from nickel plating to pistol grips to checkering to engraving, and any of these features are rare in the pre-WWI rifles. The 1899H was made up to 1921 or so when it was replaced by the model 99E (solid frame) and 99F (takedown) - identical in configuration, but renamed. The 99E/99F continued to be made up to 1940.
    The 22HP cartridge was introduced in 1912 and was designed by Charles Newton for Savage, Charles being quite a famous name in the gun world by himself for his cartridge and rifle inventions. The 22HP continued to sell through the 30's, though in significantly fewer numbers after WWI since many people wanted the larger and more powerful Savage cartridges of 250-3000 and the 300 Savage.
    For many of us, the 1899H is one of the nicest handling models made by Savage. Between the 20" barrel and the featherweight stock (the stock has holes drilled in it to create the perfect balance), it's a very sweet handling rifle. The 22HP continues to be popular with collectors on guns with lots of original condition and brings a premium over most other cartridges offered at that time. The ammunition for it is still made in Europe under the designation of 5.6x62R - which is the metric designation for the 22HP cartridge."
    By the way, as far as I know, there is only one manufacturer still making ammunition for this caliber. It is "Lellier & Bellot, " and it is a 5.6 x 52R (4.6g, 70 grs, no. 2915.) And it's around $1 per round. I bought it from Ammo To Go, about a month ago. (Oh, and I almost forgot, from Ammo To Go this ammo is actually listed as "22 Savage High Power, not the metric wording.")
    Happy shooting!
    Last edited by papawplinks; 11-26-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added information

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by papawplinks View Post
    By the way, as far as I know, there is only one manufacturer still making ammunition for this caliber. It is "Lellier & Bellot, " and it is a 5.6 x 52R (4.6g, 70 grs, no. 2915.) And it's around $1 per round. I bought it from Ammo To Go, about a month ago. (Oh, and I almost forgot, from Ammo To Go this ammo is actually listed as "22 Savage High Power, not the metric wording.")
    Happy shooting!
    That would be "Sellier & Bellot" The script "S" in their logo looks a lot like a script capital "L."

...and from the Ammunition to go website:

papawplinks
    Oh...I see. Cool. Thanks

Basic Member
    It might be a dollar a round, but S&B makes very high quality ammo, and the brass is very good for re-loading.

Enjoy.

mark

With an 1899 in that serial range it will be a model 1899H.

90% is pretty rare for those old guns so if it is I'd value it at around $800-$1000. That depends on that it has not been drilled and tapped for scope mounts or wearing sling swivel studs now as well, if it is it's about a $400-$500 gun.
    Savage- "never say never".

OlaK
    Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    It might be a dollar a round, but S&B makes very high quality ammo, and the brass is very good for re-loading.

Enjoy.

mark
    Say that to a Swede. S&B ammo isn't valued here. Try to get som RWS instead, then you can talk about high quality.
    http://rws-munition.de/en/hunting/pr....html#!0/19/41

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.