Thread: question on stock installation

Basic Member

question on stock installation

OK folks, got a question here.

Picked up a 110, serial starts with F, in 30-06. I pulled it out of the stock, tuned the trigger, went to install it back in the stock. Get everything lined up, and tighten down the front action screw.. It stops before the action is tight in the stock. The rear pulls the action tight, but I'm still worried that the front action screw seems to be bottoming out before I get it tight in the stock...

Is this normal? Should I be tightening the rear first? Should I shave the bolt down a hair or ad a washer in the screw hold to make the screw feel shorter?

This is a wooden stock, and original to the rifle from what I can tell. I bought used, and the rifle was barely shot. The rifle doesnt seem to shoot for crap. 1" at 50y. It could be the load, and I'll probably feed some factory ammo through it later, if I dont rechamber when I upgrade the barrel. The load used, 46gr of H4895 under a 165gr Hornady interlock. CCI Large rifle primer.
    Last edited by scythefwd; 11-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.

thomae
    Sounds like the action screw is too long. Perhaps that is why the previous owner sold it?
    If you are tightening it up with the bolt in it is probably hitting the bolt head.

Open the bolt, or better yet, remove the bolt. Now try tightening it. If it tightens more, look inside through the loading port and see if the bolt is protruding into the bolt head area.

If it is, see if the escutcheon is still in the stock (back then, likely a piece of black plastic inset into the wood of the stock from underneath...its what the bolt goes through on the bottom. Perhaps it fell out or was taken out at some point.

If everything is there, and the action screw head is still below the surface of the wood, you could use one or more washers as a temporary fix, or you could use a grinder or file and shorten the action screw until it is flush, or just a bit less than flush on the inside of the action.

To tighten the action into the stock, I usually stand the rifle on the butt, insert the action, and then , after making sure the barrel is centered and that the recoil lug is fully seated against the stock, tighten the action screws in 5 inch/pound increments, alternating front and rear until I am about 30 or 35 inch pounds on both screws.

The action screws are 1/4" x 28tpi.

Basic Member
    There is a black plastic insert in the stock still. I'll pull the bolt and check protrusion. I wont permanently modify the bolt just yet.. I'll be going to a different stock and bedding it later, and I'd hate to make the screw a hair too short.. I really like having as much engagement as possible. Looks like I need to find some sort of spacer in there.. may be able to do in in vinyl pretty easily.

The action screws are about .50 at your local hardware store, if yours is too long replace it for proper fitment.(will make a difference) It sounds like either you or the previous owner has /is crushing the wood while tightening the screw so you are getting a loose fit, put a thin steel washer in to tighten against should help in the short term.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Just looked at the rifle last night. Screw is NOT too long after all. I'll be changing out the action screw anyways, because its partially stripped. The stock fitment is poor as hell though. Between the two action screws is definitely a high point in the stock. IF I tighten the rear first, the front doesnt pull the action down nearly as much. If I tighten the front down first, the barrel doesnt float.. looks like this stock is a good candidate for my first bedding job. 1 container of devcon should be plenty for doing two stocks. I wont pillar bed this one. Might just use JBweld for this first one. Its hunting accurate for the range I'll be shooting at, so I'll not screw with it till after season ends or I get a deer. May take the M1 instead.. its plenty accurate enough for hunting. Once I get my deer though, it'll be time to break out the dremel and go to work. Really hate the pencil barrel on the rifle anyways, so I'm planning on replacing it, so even if its not a shooter it will be in the end.

I'll be installing the screw into the action with it out of the stock and make sure it is capable of pulling all the way into the bolt path. Why? you ask. To make sure the threads aren't jacked up and I'm binding in the action and making it feel like I'm bottoming it out. If i'm binding, I'll get a tap and chase the threads to clean em up.
    Last edited by scythefwd; 11-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.

scyth,there is a sequence though sometimes debated.
    Place action in stock and start the front screw. Then tap butt on floor to seat the recoil lug and snug the front screw some more. Now start rear screw and snug then tighten the front screw and rear screw alternating between the two, this should seat the action properly.
    If the barrel isn't floating mark where it touches remove and sand the channel out a little at a time until it does,you will be supprized at the difference it will make.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Thanks for the tips.. I'm going to use this stock as a test for my first bedding job, then move to the thumbhole when I get the new barrel/lug, etc... hopefully eliminate the slop in the rifle. This is the only pencil barrel I have.. and its set for extinction.