Disclamer: I am not "flaming" anybody, nor suggesting intentional fabrication. Just looking for acurate reporting. (pun intended) I am not including BR rifles or shooters.

History: I have pursued super accurate sporting rifles for nearly 60 years, starting with a Wallak and Holmes 722 in 222 Rem. and I presently have a Hart stubbed Encore in 7-08AI Rimmed, plus several custom barreled Savage 110's. Probably have owned 100 rifles and I can count on one hand the number what were honest MOA rifles. Now MOA to me is 5 shots in 1 inch at 100 yards or 5 shots in 2 inches at 200 yards....everyday, all day. Not once in the life of the rifle! I realize MOA continues ~, however, I believe anything over 200 yards becomes moot, scope quality and power plus the ability to read the wind and EXPERIENCE are the limiting factors rather than gun quality. And, to me, sporting rifles are limited to 10-12 pounds.

Yesterday we had a little friendly benchrest competition between 12 serious rifle shooters, A Browning A-Bolt was the only "stock" rifle in the bunch. (most were 700's, all with trigger work, most with bedding and barrel work) There was no rifle over 11 pounds (9 was probably the average). The scopes were Luppy or Weaver quality, 12X to 24X. Calibers 223 to 30. (most 7mm) Wind flags at 50 yards, no sighters, 3 shot group at 200 yards with a 3 minute limit. (most shot in<2 min.) We all used spotters. The 10 ring was 2 inches, we did not have one 30, the winners had 29's. The groupes averaged 3 inches, a couple 2 inch, there was not a 1 inch group all day long. I will not bore you with the quality of the shooters, except they were all "capabale". Better than 95% of the shooters you see at a normal range.

I continue to read about and see pictures of 3's,4's and 5's out of stock rifles right out of the box. Never any mention of loading technique, or scope or front rest and usually not even the range. Now, let's see, a 5 is 5 shots in1/2 inch plus the caliber or 3/4 inch with a 25 caliber at 100 yards or 1 and 1/2 inch at 200 yards. A 3 cuts that almost in half! Darn good shooting.

Question: Am I the only guy in the world that has not taken a rifle out of the box, slapped a 4X Tasco on it and put 20 shots in one hole at 500 yards with ammo I had laying on the bench?

Request: Please, when you report one of these phenomenal groups, tell us your loading bench technique, the scope, the rest, the weight and what you have really done to the rifle. OH.....the number of shots in the group. I am still trying to learn!

Respectfully,

Bill