Thread: Been awhile, what's new/available to restock a 12FCV?

Been awhile, what's new/available to restock a 12FCV?

Ok, it's been at least 6 years (when i sold my 12FV) since I last investigated any aftermarket parts for Savage rifles. But as of thursday My wife, at my suggestion, has a 12FCV on order at our LGS. So of course i'm looking into what is currently available, and well recomended in the way of aftermarket stocks.

Last time i knew anything about Savage stock upgrades, the only options were B&C, Stockade, and Sharp Shooter Supply for something "Drop-in" with pillars or a bedding block, and for those more hardy, talented, patient, or posessing a well equipped woodshop, among us Richard's. And none of them was making a centerfeed stock yet, not even sure if the centerfeed was out yet.

Anyway, what are the available options for the possible restocking of a current generation 12FCV? And among those options which ones are more well thought of or recomended and why?

about the only criteria that i can think of at the moment that a given stock design would have to pass, are fairly easy. and are as follows
    • must have pillars or bedding block (this is My requirement since i'll be the one to do any work short of a Time and True job)
    • Must be available in fairly subdued color schemes, Trisha has a distinct distaste for flashy or "Girly" (her word) colors/decoration
    • Again in trisha's words "Must look like a gunstock, Not a 2x6 or boat paddle"

well that's about all i can think to ask/say. thank you for your time and any info you care to pass along.
    Last edited by Detritus; 12-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Four days and nothing?

Do i need to move this over the the decisions section? or is something wrong?

either way. still gladly looking for advice and info on the various stock sources/makers

thomae
    look at the advertisers on the forum. Both Stockys and Boyds have stocks, some of which might fit your criteria.

Basic Member
    Pretty much same here, found this thread because I am looking to get a good list of makers for my 12.

bell&carlson are highly regarded,
    also looking at revolution, mcmillan, stocky's boyds... and still looking.

good luck!

helotaxi
    How much do you want to spend and how long are you willing to wait?

How much do you want to spend and how long are you willing to wait?
    For my part, personal feelings in general are.. Price, under $600 preferably Under $500, Wait time would depend on What, who, and cost. I'm willing to wait alot longer for a stock that's "made to order" (ie production doesn't start till i order), and leaves me with little to no additional work to make it usable (Note: finishing a SSS stock is low on the "work" scale). Summary would be that I'd be alot more patient as far as lead/wait time with the likes of Sharp Shooter Supply that's Making their stocks, than I would with the a company like Stocky's that wearhouses and ships the products of others.

But at this time the situation is, If my wife (the end user of the rifle to be restocked) sees a stock she decides she wants and it winds up having a one year lead time, that'd be fine as well.
    Not exactly in a rush to restock, she hasn't even gotten the rifle out of layway yet!
    and even then it'll be months after we get the rifle home before she'd be able to benefit from or notice any difference out of swapping to a better stock design.

If you don't mind a wait but want excellant workmanship & quality look no further than here;http://russoriflestocks.com/

Joel's stocks are some of the nicest I have seen.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 11-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

airdale
    You won't get a Russo stock for that price ( I just recieved a quote from him). He charges $450 just for inletting then there's the cost of the blank, etc., etc. He does nice work but it's all ala carte.

Unless I get reports of horror stories I'll be ordering my wife's stock from SSS. Her taste is much like your wife's. Going with the "Light Varmint Tactical" w/adjustable cheek piece and shortened LOP. Comes Pillar bedded.

Basic Member
    Some other places to look for inspirations may be the picture thread. Choate makes some excellent stocks if you need one quickly ie within the next week. Boyds has some beautiful and comfortable to shoot thumb hole stocks, but will require some work. If you want a chasis type stock similar to the Savage model 10 BAS, you can look into xlr industries. Most of your high end stocks are now making inlets for savage, or will inlet for your savage.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Team Savage
    The Savage 12 FCV is an Accustock model. So it should be a good solid stock to begin with. It is pretty easy to clean off all oil with acetone and spray with Krylon webbing spray for a custom look and textured grip. I would rate my Stockade Gunstock as having the best drop-in fit with no additional work required. Stockade (composite) and SSS (laminated) offer stocks in several styles and inletted for the current CF DBM assembly if your willing to wait 18+ weeks for a custom stock and spend under $500.00.
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-25-2012 at 11:25 PM.

The Savage 12 FCV is an Accustock model. So it should be a good solid stock to begin with.
    It may be a solid stock, But unfortunately as it comes from the factory the L.O.P. is too long for my wife. She can not get the rifle both properly on/in her shoulder (Vs. on her upper arm outboard of her shoulder), and the pad of her index finger centered on the trigger, at the same time.
    we think that trimming about 1/2-3/4" off of the length would bring it in line with what she needs.

Which brings me to one of two questions that have come to mind for me more recently,
    1. Has anyone ever cut down the length of pull on their accustock, esp. cut it down past the point where (i assume) the factory screwholes end and had to put some sort of filler or block in there for the pad to mount to? I've dealt somewhat with fitting a recoil pad, but i've not yet deallt with trimming and fitting for/to a sythetic stock
    2. If I decide to switch/upgrade stocks, am I going to have to have the recoil lug replaced with a standard unit? Does an after-market stock absolutely require that the rifle have a "Standard" size lug or can I get away at least for a time with the A-S style lug?

anyway that's my thoughts and concerns at this time regarding stocks for this rifle. any and all advice, info etc is welcomed.

As of right now I know that to fit my wife, this rifle needs a shorter LOP, and if staying with the same stock style at least, it needs an adjustable cheekpiece added as well.