Thread: model 99 help

Basic Member

model 99 help

my uncle has a 99 in 300 savage...not drilled and tapped...brass rotator..non takedown..serial is 6420XX...can someone date this for me and tell me the year it was made? thanks for the help

99trix

Re: model 99 help

Model 99EG date of manufacture 1952. The classic North Eastern deer rifle and cartridge, hence it is fairly common.

Baker6x6

Sure,
    I'll DATE her for you... but don't expect her back by midnight...

Oh.. I just remembered... I got the serial for my Mother's 99F... 7810xx
    I'm guessing '55-'56, as this was supposed to have been her birthday present in '56

Ray

Basic Member

thanks..i didn;t know you could tell the variation as well....what i am actually trying to do is get an exact one like my grandfathers which is serial # 4471XX...year and variation?

99trix

1952 is easy to tell the model, not drilled and tapped = EG, drilled and tapped = R. In 1947 (serial #447,xxx) the R was not drilled and tapped, so if your Grandfathers rifle is like yours it will be an EG if it has a different shaped tip on the forestock it will be an R.

781,0xx is 1956

Basic Member

thanks for the info...i actually do not have a 99 yet....but since my last post...what are the odds...i found/purchased a 99 within 115 numbers of my grandfathers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will post pics when i get it! i still cannot believe it

Baker6x6

99TRIX:

#1- Thanks for the info on Mom's gun...

I'm a bit confused on dating my "other" 99. The serial number online comes up as 1940, while the Murray book (The 99).. lists it as being VERY-VERY late (last 100) of 1939.
    Since I am interested in buying other "ephemera".. such as hang-tags and catalogs... which would you "trust" more to be accurate?
    I would think the book had more "research" behind it- and this is certainly in the range of the records still at Savage.
    Is there a book/list somewhere of post-1951 serial numbers?

I plan on documenting both rifles..

Neither one of them are correct.

That gun was made sometime between 1945 and early 1946.
    Savage- "never say never".