Thread: Savage Model 14 Classic Stock Question?

Hog Hunter

Savage Model 14 Classic Stock Question?

Hi, new to the forum and first post. Hoping someone with more Savage experience might be able to help...
    Bought a Savage Model 14 Classic .308 short-action, with hinged floor plate. Outstanding rifle, very accurate and built beautifully. Only problem for me is it has the monte carlo stock which I cannot get used to. This is the first monte carlo styled stock I have owned, and now realize that I greatly prefer a straight combed stock. I cannot find any info on what aftermarket, or even factory stocks fit this rifle. I would like to get a laminate stock, but even wood would be fine. Boyd's customer service was unsure as well.
    Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

ellobo
    The uncomfortable fit of the stock may be related to the height of the scope. The Monte Carlo stock would put your eye higher above the bore line so a set of higher scope mounts might make a difference in how the stock feels to you. Cheaper fix than a new stock. Boyds, unfortunately, does not have stocks inlet for DBM or hinged floor plate model rifles. You would have to have it done. Other decent stocks will cost you a lot more than a Boyds. As soon as my quarters jar gets full enough a Boyds with the checkering option will go on my flat rear receivered .35 Whelen.

El Lobo

thomae
    Numrich has a Model 14 American classic in short action with both a Monte Carlo stock and a straight comb stock.
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=14244

Here are the straight stocks:
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...60&catid=14244
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...90&catid=14244

It will also fit a standard plastic DBM stock.

brasse
    thomae,

I have looked on Numrich numerous times trying to find a model 14 Savage stock. I could never figure out that stupid drop down menu that has every stock of ever gun ever made. They don't let you put in something simple like Savage model 14 wood stock.

Fortunately one of your links worked, and there is always another Savage to build. They had 2005 model 14 Savage stocks for $75, sure Savage must charge 4 times that much. Those stocks from 2005 use the 4.27 inch receiver, can you figure out or let us know the codes for finding a model 14 stock for the 4.40 receiver???

Also want to build a left hand Savage for my grandson so he can go hunting. A link to Savage 10,14,16 stocks would be great.

Thank you

Team Savage
    Boyd's is now offering Savage 4.40" LH SA CF stock with the DBM/HFP cutout. They will add a better parchmyr recoil pad and checkering if desired. Laminated and walnut available. Otherwise, Numrich is the best place to look. Savage Arms will sell you one for double the price.
    Last edited by jpdown; 04-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.

stangfish
    How much do you want to spend. There are a lot of options. I dont like the narrow relief of the Boyds stocks near the barrel.

Yours has the trigger gard bolt release. That trigger guard is about .050 wider than all of the previous savage trigger guards. You may have to do some fitting on a side release stock but they will work. I have got the T-shirt.

brasse
    Sweet, thanks.

They had a link to the Model 14 with Monte Carlo cheek piece and DBM. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1251710.htm

brasse
    Since I was a young boy I have always wanted a Mark Weatherby. Unfortunately my bad shoulder can no longer shoot their magnum calibers. But their AAA grade walnut still gives me a woody.

The Savage model 14 stock I purchased does not have the Monte Carlo cheek piece, so it will be a little lighter. Might be a perfect start for a 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifle under 8 pounds. My current Creedmoor weights over 12 pounds, not exactly something to hike with. I expect my 6.8 SPC II will also weigh under 8 pounds.