Thread: Savage 10 mount holes tapped wrong.

bork

Angry Savage 10 mount holes tapped wrong.

Just got a new Savage 10 in 308, bought Leupold rings and bases. The standard 6-48 screws will not go in the mount holes on the receiver. Called Savage to find out about the screw size and they confirmed that it was tapped for 6-48. So I asked if it were possible that it could have been tapped different and just this past year they started using some 8-40 but the gun was made in 08 so it had to be 6-48. I have some 8-40 screws since that is the size of the ring screws, they don't fit either. The customer service person told me that I may have to send it back to them so that they can redrill the holes. I don't believe you can redrill the holes and make them right so does that mean that they will have to put a new receiver on it or what? Anybody have any experience with these screw holes being drilled the wrong size. I reckon I oughta just send it back to the dealer and get a different gun but the dealer no doubt will not do that. Am I "screwed" or what?
    Last edited by bork; 04-25-2013 at 10:11 AM.

masterblaster
    or they weld it and retap it, helicoil will work too but I would not be comfortable with that.

They are 6-48. You just may need to chase them.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Check your screws....they might not be 6-48. I received a scope base last week that came 6-40's.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bork
    Leupold says that their screws are 6-48 nothing else. Could the receiver been matte blued after the holes were drilled and blued residue clogging the threads. How do I check them, I have a lot of screws from over the years and they must all be 6-48 none fit.

bork
    Geargrinder, what do you mean chase the holes....

masterblaster
    I had a screw get stuck half way into the receiver, could not get it in or out, had to send it back to savage to get it fixed. The problem was the coatings they use got into the threads on the receiver, I read here that they should bet chased with a tap after I had the issue, so yeah get a tap and chase the threads with it.

Berniep
    Quote Originally Posted by bork View Post
    You use a 6-48 tap and run it in the holes to straighten out the threads. Can you see threads in there. Maybe they didn't get tapped the first time

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bork View Post
    "Chasing Threads" means running a tap or die in or over already existing threads to clean them up.

Bill

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    "Chasing Threads" means running a tap or die in or over already existing threads to clean them up.

Bill
    Yep. common term used to reshape the threads to make them uniform and sized. If you were to drop something and damage the threads they would need to be "chased" .

bork
    Finally got em done. Went to a local machine shop and got a 6-48 tap. It didn't really want to go but I put a little muscle on it and it musta broke through whatever was stopping it and slicked on down. Screws fit and scope mounted. Thanks all.

masterblaster
    mAKE SURE YOU USE BLUE LOKTITE NOW THAT THEY ARE SO CLEAN, TQ TO 20 INCH POUNDS.

It was probably just bluing salts in the threads. Just like what happens with the blue nuts and barrels.

Thanks everyone for explaining my "chase". I should have been more clear.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

bork
    can't find any blue loctite around here, everybody has blue permatex threadlock. Is that the same as loctite?

masterblaster
    that works

thomae
    Read this excellent article about threadlockers.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...nces-Resources