Thread: Long shot on a good buck and doe.

HOYTPRO2001

Long shot on a good buck and doe.

I bow hunted till 9am on Nov. 3 and when I got out of the stand I text my buddy and told him I was done. He said he was watching a good buck chase a doe and I needed to come where he was sitting. So I headed that way. When I arrived on the rocky outcrop over looking a big flat below we checked him and the situation out from a safe distance. We noticed the buck was with a doe but two smaller bucks keep them two busy trying to hide or evade their attention at all cost. After 10 minutes they separated from the other two suitors and began to rest some.
    Our ranch rule during rifle season is, we have to shoot a doe before we can shoot any buck, trophy or cull. So I started the process of making the shot on the doe first. My partner ranged her at 615 yds and with nearly no wind I knew its going to be a long poke. I readied my bipod, adjusted my Leupold 6.5x20x40 scope and loaded a live custom 75 gr Amax round into my Savage 110 with a Douglas Preimum 224TTH 1-8twist barrel. I waited for the doe to stop in a good position and it took a few minutes but she finally did. As I placed the bottom bar of the Varmint Reticle on her shoulder, she stood motionless, as she knew what was coming. As my Timiney trigger broke and the bullet traveled the distance in a flash, she collapsed in a pile like she been head shot. My buddy/spotter shouted "perfect" as I loaded the second live round into the barrel. The buck never knew what happened and turned around to check on his girlfriend. As he stood slightly quartered to me he looked to his left, exposing his right neck/shoulder just right for a large target area. The Timiney broke again and in my scope I could see his rear legs collapse, his chin flew toward the sky and he fell like a rock. Dead Right There!!!
    It took 10 mins to drive around the hill to reach my trophies but we both "high fived" and chattered like school boys all the way to the deer. They laid only 3 feet apart and both never moved after the impact of each round. It was very enjoyable to accomplish two shots at that distance with such precision from a rifle I built myself and loaded every round that's went down the tube. He turned out to be a 9pt, 18 3/4" inside, 185# live weight, 6 1/2 yr old buck that scored 127". Just fine with me because of my buddies help and the distance of the shots I made on this beautiful morning in Texas.
    Last edited by HOYTPRO2001; 11-10-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add picture

Basic Member
    very cool story. That's some long shots for sure! Pics would be great.

358Hammer
    Cool story and thank you for sharing.

Any pictures?

Neal

HOYTPRO2001

Long shot on a good buck and doe.

Very hard to load them.

Obviously with a bang-flop it doesn't matter, but did the 75gr A-Max pass through on either deer?

I shot a doe a couple weeks ago with an 80gr A-Max @ 2890fps my 223AI; bullet entered just under the left eye and everything on the right side of her head from the eye to the ear was gone. Now bullet construction doesn't much matter with a 65-70yd headshot, but I was VERY impressed with the terminal ballistics of that little bullet...

HOYTPRO2001
    No sir those bullets hardly ever exit where I try to hit deer, high shoulder shots. The head shots will usually always exit, even at 310 yds., but I don't normally shoot at the head. They don't hardly ever exit coyotes even under 100 yds. unless they're broadside. I love the A-max bullets allot. They always work.