Thread: Custom build

Basic Member

Custom build

I've been gathering information on this website for awhile, and making a few random comments about things I think I know, and working on my Savage 110 in .30-'06. It is an older model, non-centerfeed, with old-style trigger. First I got the plastic stock bedded, and I epoxied in some washers for the front and rear action screws, but the rear action screw still only had a flimsy plastic tang to tighten against, and that never produced good contact. The original barrel was pitted, and not well cared for by the previous owner, so I sawed off an inch, and still didn't get acceptable accuracy, so I got a 22" take-off sporter barrel from Jim Briggs at Northland. Then I fire-lapped with Tubb Final Finish, but accuracy was still poor, about 3" for a 5-shot group. I searched the website and saw some good deals on Bell & Carlson Medalist from Stocky's, so I bought one. It came equipped with Pachmayr pad and sling swivels. The fit was excellent, without any trimming, and that brought the group down to 0.85". OK, but not good enough yet. I bedded it, and earlier today I shot a 0.45" group. I found these dealers excellent to deal with, and I was amazed at the quality of the Bell & Carlson stock. The aluminum bedding block is tall enough that the action screws snug up to the bottom of the aluminum block, and the block itself is embedded beautifully into the stock material. By the way, I did bed the tang at the rear, and I don't think that did any damage. Also, since the Savage is a round-bottom action, I would not recommend taping the sides of the recoil lug. That needs to make contact to prevent "rolling" when fired. Of course, tape the bottom, and double-tape the front of the recoil lug. The trigger fell apart in my hand when I was removing it, so that gave me the "opportunity" to learn a lot about the older model Savage trigger, and I'm pretty fond of it. Going hunting pretty soon, and I am really proud of this firearm. I appreciate all the info I was able to gather from this website, much more than most similar sites.
    Jim

rattfink
    Congrats on your success. Some pics and paragraph breaks would be great

Basic Member
    Don't know how to post pix.
    Jim
    Last edited by jim_k; 11-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    Don't know how to post pix.
    Jim
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...posting+photos

is the stock the medalist classic? i wasnt even aware that b&c was making a medalist for the long action.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others