Thread: Removing Camo Dipping on Savage 10 Predator

greggo57

Removing Camo Dipping on Savage 10 Predator

Hey Guys-
    I am new to Savage Shooters and excited about all the info on this site. I am wondering if anyone has removed the camo dipping/paint from the Savage 10 Predator. I want to put a new stock on the rifle...which gets me to my next question. I pulled the stock off of my rifle tonight and the magazine is attached to the action. Does this mean I have the staggered feed action with the shorter screw spacing? I don't have a caliper to get an accurate measurement on the spacing. Thanks.

Greg

helotaxi
    A ruler will give you an accurate enough measurement. Your rifle would have had to have been one of the first Predator Hunters and last stagger-feed actions made. .223 or .204? The .378" bolt face cartridges were the last to convert over to the centerfeed design I think in the 2009 timeframe.

greggo57
    Yes it is a .223 and the staggered feed. Thanks helotaxi.

helotaxi
    And I've got a feeling that you're not going to like any of the methods that would be used to strip the camo. If you don't want it camo'd, you might be better off selling it and getting a different rifle.

thomae
    What about a heat gun? Would that work?

helotaxi
    Probably not. Figure that the camo dip stuff is pretty high temp stuff.

hammie
    You could try increasingly aggressive solvents. Lacquer thinner, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), or paint remover with methylene chloride in it. If it's an epoxy based paint, the best bet may be the lacquer thinner. The problem is that as the solvents get more aggressive on the paint, they get more aggressive on you. So I would wear solvent resistant gloves and do it outside when a good breeze is blowing.

I have been watching this thread since you started it hoping a solution from someone who had done it would come along.
    Have you thought about painting over it? May be easier than removing it. What color do you want? I have had very good luck and durability with several rattlecan jobs as long as I coat em with Testors dull coat when I'm done.The only thing is I'm usually applying camo not removing it. I've had good luck with the sponge camo and like the patterns.
    The digital camo on the 10 PC is really starting to fall out of favor with me and I would like a good solution but am not up to being the Guinea pig, I don't buy most Savages for their looks and the 10PC really delivers in the accuracy dept. :)
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Team Savage
    I have used Zip Strip from Wal Mart to strip the dip off of bows several times. Just brush it on and then wipe it off.

Basic Member
    My Snow Predator has the same paint that you are talking about. After just trying to remove the paint from the bolt handle, I just painted over everything instead. You will be happier in the long run, and your new paint will have a great surface to adhere too. Just repaint it.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Gmac5
    Bead blast it .

Basic Member
    I have been asking the same question about camo dip removal and did not get a lot of answers. One answer I did get was that the deet used in mosquito repellent will dissolve it. I couldn`t get a lot of answers on the metal finish under the dip camo, some say it is rough fnish for better adhesion, I also read that it is too rough to blue. Now that someone else is asking the the question again, I`m hoping to see more answers.

Basic Member
    Way more work or expense than it is worth. You would be better off selling it, and getting something closer to what you want.
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Quote Originally Posted by gerard488 View Post
    I have been asking the same question about camo dip removal and did not get a lot of answers. One answer I did get was that the deet used in mosquito repellent will dissolve it. I couldn`t get a lot of answers on the metal finish under the dip camo, some say it is rough fnish for better adhesion, I also read that it is too rough to blue. Now that someone else is asking the the question again, I`m hoping to see more answers.
    Man,
    Deet will remove the metal pillars and or bedding block over time. Deet is bad news for metal. It sure cost me a gold brick. I completely ruined some pretty pricy camping gear finding out what Deet does to metal especially aluminum.
    Just my .02 but I wouldn't try it.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

squawsach
    I've removed camo dipping several times. Bead blasting works best.

americanstrat98
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    Bead blast it .
    +1. Bead Blasting is the way to go. It will not change the overall size of the piece, it dimples the metal, and will give you the perfect surface to paint over. It's how Gunsmiths do it, and it's the best way you could do it! Then use Duracoat, Gunkoat, You may find them at brownells.