Thread: Rifle build-- Why not build a 6.5x284 over the shorty 6.5's for hunting??

Basic Member

Rifle build-- Why not build a 6.5x284 over the shorty 6.5's for hunting??

Gang,
    I tend to read and study a good bit before I take on any project. I'm gearing up to build a hunting rifle. Deer, antelope, coyotes, possiby elk (more than likely pull out the 300 WM for that). I've been thinking about a 6.5 x 47, or 6.5 Creedmore, or 260 Remington, all short action rounds. Lets not make this a comparison of those 3, for the sake of argument lets call them ballistically very similar. As i stumble through this process I keep coming back to the question: if I can build any of those 3 why not stay with a long action and build a 6.5 x 284? OK its a given, the 6.5x284 might croak on the barrel way quicker than the aforementioned shorty 6.5's but it's a hunting rifle, not a bench gun. I'm not concerned about the barrel. (I've owned a .270 for years and shot almost every species under the sun and I don't think I've got 1000 rounds through her.) I want a round that flattens out my trajectory a bit over the .270 but does not sacrifice downrange energy. Also, I want to make this rifle a DBM. I already have a 6.5 x 284 bench gun so the dies and brass & powder are not an additional expense. I understand that short actions are supposedly stiffer and possibly more accurate. OK... Having said that, why not build everthing on a long action in order to allow complete flexibilty? Talk to me guru's of gun building!!

I build everything on a long action just because I can always change it to something different if I want to and not constrain myself to a short action cartridge. The 6.5-284 is a good one and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk.

Basic Member
    Lr. I havent been at this game very long, but it sounds like you have answered your own questions. Find a stevens 200 long action gun for cheap, buy a new recoil lug and barrel of your choice in 6.5x284 install new trigger and throw it all in a duramax stock and walla. You have brass, powder, and dies for that already change a few parts and still shoot short cartridges as well. I as well try to study up and with the longer heavier 223 bullets now alot of guys build 223's on long action so they can load 75-77-80-90 grain bullets to the lands. Buy stuff and assemble.... oh and post pics.
    couple of savages

sounds like you have a good plan to me!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Your plan is exactly what I have plans for with my spare LA that I have sitting. I too already have the target gun that is doing double duty as a hunting rifle. Now, it's time for a dedicated hunting rifle.

Basic Member
    Sounds great! I have a Stockade Stocks woodchuck that I'm considering sending to CDI to be inletted and have the bottom metal installed. Adds weight, but I would really like this rifle to have a clip. Is that a bad idea team?

Team Savage
    I built a Savage LA 6.5x284 long range hunting rifle with 26" CBI light varmint barrel. Very accurate with 140gr Berger's. Muzzle velocity of 3045 with max load of RL17. With a BC of .612 you can do the ballistic calculations. Would not hesitate to use on Elk.
    Last edited by jpdown; 11-06-2012 at 11:06 PM.

ellobo
    Am I missingt something here? Isn't the .284 a real short action cartridge?

El Lobo

M.O.A.
    no its a long action round

P.S. LRPut you sound to have it hit on the head so to speak the 6.5-284 is a great round and you have all the stuff fore it so its a no brainer

Basic Member
    ellobo, I think the 6.5x284 can be viewed as a short action round, however, when loading a high BC round nearly touching or touching the lands there's no way it will fit in a short action magazine.

Guys, Am i making a mistake considering the DBM on this build? I would rather have 3 round mag too, not a 5 round, though I'm probably splitting hairs on that one.

ellobo
    [QUOTE=LRPut;146715]ellobo, I think the 6.5x284 can be viewed as a short action round, however, when loading a high BC round nearly touching or touching the lands there's no way it will fit in a short action magazine.

LR, I understand the concept of a cartridge that shoots javalins. But from the wording of the threads I got the impression that no-one seemed to remember that the .284 really was a short action cartridge to begin its life. Originaly designed for the short action Winchester Model 88 lever gun.

El Lobo

digger11
    I just pulled the trigger on a new LRH in camo accustock with an adjustable brake that was not a cataloged item,I can't wait to play with it soon,,here in California it needs to go to government jail for awhile before I get it.

M.O.A.
    the cabelas stainless LRH ??? they didnt have them when i got mine ;-{ or i would have got one ;-}