Thread: Cabela

Texas Builder

Cabela

I just recently bought a model 112, chambered in 6.5 x 284 with this description:

Savage Arms Long-Range Stainless Fluted Barrel Rifle

Cabela’s-exclusive 24" fluted stainless steel barrel
    Adjustable AccuTrigger
    AccuStock bedding

Since it isn't a normal model, I can't get much info on it. It is centerfeed with a hinged floorplate. A real good-looking gun.

It is my first accustock.

Mounted bases, rings and a scope I know to be good. Began the barrel break-in process and consistently shot 5"+ groups at 100 yards with first box of shells. Always grouping on the same, diagonal line - some high and left, some low and right.

Re-installed bases, rings and scope. Checked torque on action screws. Now 4"+ groups, but low and left to high and right.

Shooting HSM with 140 gr Bergers, because that's the only ammo that was available. I will reload for it, but of course want to get it shooting well before i start load development.

Any ideas as to what would be causing such a big shift in point of impact? My thought is maybe I have a real finicky accustock, and need to try and tune it a bit more. But all the info on tuning the accustock seems to be on the older version of it with the wedge.

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Savage13
    its the ammo. I have a Savage 10 in . 308 and when i first got it I picked up some BHA match 168s and some HSM 168 loaded with the Bergers. The HSM did exactly the same thing that you are describing. I later found out that Bergers are VERY sensitive to the distance from the lands they sit. I later loaded some 168 Bergers in the HSM brass and fiddled with OAL from the o give and got really good groups out of them. If it was me I would NOT worry about your gun.

Texas Builder
    Thanks for the info on the Berger bullets. That makes sense. I was hoping I didn't have the one Savage out of a thousand that won't shoot.