Thread: Savage Model 16 FHSS Weather Warrior Series OR the Savage Model 16 Trophy Hunter

Savage Model 16 FHSS Weather Warrior Series OR the Savage Model 16 Trophy Hunter

Savage Model 16 FHSS Weather Warrior Series or the Savage Model 16 Trophy Hunter XP Besides the scope that comes with the Trophy Hunter, can anyone help me fig out the pros/cons of of getting either rifle? I will need to make a choice by Friday or Saturday. They both appear to be the same gun, or at least similar with little differences. Except the FHSS cost more with no Nikon scope. Any input would be appreciated, thanks yall!
    Here are some links to where i plan on getting them.

FHSS:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/52960 $663

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+16FHSS+223+HF $636

Trophy Hunter:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...H+XP+223+NIKON $515

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/sava...-p-130848.html $585

The fhss has a hinged floor plate and accu-stock. The fcss model has a removable clip and accu-stock if a detachable mag was something you wanted to have, otherwise the same as the fhss. The bottom of the magazine of the fcss is metal compared to the plastic/polymer mag in the trophy hunter. The fcss/fhss has a different barrel finish than the trophy hunter as well. The trophy hunter appears to have a spray on finish which is more of a matte look whereas the fcss/fhss is normal stainless finish.

1ShotKing
    Last edited by 1ShotKing; 11-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Ahh, a AccuStock, nice... i didnt realize... i think that would push me in that direction. I was thinking i might get a real nice wood stock(cause i like wood stocks) for it someday, so then, that would defeat the purpose of the accustock... hmm... Thanks for your input 1ShotKink :)

So when you load a hinged mag, do you just turn the riffle upside down and drop in the rounds(staggered, or straight lined) and close the hing after loading them?

No, in my experience you still need to load it from the top. You can unload the magazine by opening the floorplate, much more convenient than cycling the action to unload.

Beat CJ is correct. From my experience and my personal opinion DBM > Hinged Floorplate > Internal Mag, for hunting purposes. I like being able to remove all rounds at once and keep them together. If it's a range day I usually single feed regardless.

1ShotKing

Ah, thanks Beat CJ and 1ShotKing. I'm gonna continue to do research, but it's a bit hard to find good detailed info/pics/vids. Anything note worth, please let me know. I all too familiar with the Axis, pros and cons, but if i just cant decide on either of these nicer models, i will just get the axis SS for now... and get one of the ones im mentioning early next year! I will update!

In my experience, I prefer the hinged floorplate, I bought a 110 .270 Win with a steel DBM in 1982, and had problems with it feeding. I never really got it so it was 100% reliable. I was young and impatient, and there weren't many resources to help with tuning. I've never had a feed issue with my hinged floorplate (not a Savage) or with blind magazines. If it were me, I'd continue to look, and get the 16 variant that fits your needs best. What are you going to use it for? What kind of wood stock might you put it in? Your deadline gives you lots of time to decide. Have you used the Savage website to compare models? http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Find the features you want, then shop the stores. Also, I found a great price from a local dealer on my stepson's Stevens a couple of years ago. I could get the rifle with a better scope than they were offering for the same price they were advertising online. I don't know if you have anyone close, though.

-Well, i will probably not use it to hunt much, mainly just for the range. So, reliability for "hunting" is not that significant... although, I'm not necessarily saying i wouldn't mind an unreliable rifle either. It will mainly be used for fun accurate shoot at the range mainly, which i why im going with the .223(not real big game, but big enough for anything smaller than a deer.
    -I just love wood stocks, what kind, i dont know yet, but looks will have everything to do with it just second to performance(freefloat). Pushing $600 is as far as I will go with my budget... so the $636 for the FHSS/FCSS is just about the breaking point. $650max really.
    -I have used the Savage website and have set a few aside for future rifles i want to own by early next year, one being the Hog hunter https://www.dropbox.com/s/3df2u7j2o7...nter%20308.pdf in either .223 or .308. Or a similar rifle(an SKS may fill this void). I love the idea of iron sights and a shorter, bull bbl.
    -Im leaning towards the Trophy Hunter for this purchase due to the fact that i would want to eventually get a different stock anyway so the nicer accustock would not be used. Plus, with the Trophy Hunter i'm looking at comes with a good Nikon Scope that i can mount on my model 99 when i replace it with a longer scope.

Ok, for now(because its not my only and last Savage bolt) i went with the Asix in Stainless :) Once if figure out what im trying to do, i will choose my next bolt with confidence. TY, all for your help.