Thread: The Biggest Squirrel I Have Ever Taken

Josh Smith

The Biggest Squirrel I Have Ever Taken

This was last year, and not with a Savage, but I thought I would share anyway. Folks tend to get a kick outta' this critter.

I stepped into the woods today to watch a deer. It's a mid-size doe that I'm keeping an eye on. It comes to the creek every day around 4:00pm to drink. It's crossed my mind that maybe I should shoot it, but this one seems to be more for watching than anything else. It usually gets within 10 to 25 yards of me before it shies off, depending on the day. It was feeling bold today and got pretty close.

I saw what I thought was a small wood chuck off about 30, 40 yards away. Only it was the wrong color. I slowly went prone, brought my "squirrel sniper" to my shoulder, chambering a round as I did so, and beheld the biggest danged squirrel I've seen outside of captivity rooting around on the ground. I turned the safety on and back off, making a loud clicking sound. (If you've ever dealt with the safety on a Romanian trainer, you know what I mean). Mr. Godzilla Squirrel stood up, I centered the crosshairs on its chest as its head was obscured, and squeezed one off.

This is the biggest squirrel I have ever taken.

The squirrel toppled and didn't even thrash. It was a very clean kill, and one I'm proud of.

The deer watched all this with interest, then went back to drinking.

While skinning the animal, I found that the bullet, a Winchester XPERT .22LR HP round, began expanding almost immediately. It nicked the spine, creating a secondary projectile of a vertebrae which went partially through some muscle on the back. The spinal shot would explain the lack of thrashing. The bullet exited, leaving a hole about .30". There is not much bloodshot meat however, and I'm very pleased.

This makes three squirrel in the freezer now, and I may pass up the squirrel stew and instead make something in the oven.

I still can't get over the size of that critter though!

Josh

xman77777

Re: The Biggest Squirrel I Have Ever Taken

Ah... that explains what happened to all the acorns this year! Gotta be the biggest squirrel I've ever seen. Does look kinda like a NC groundhog all stretched out there.

Rod

Basic Member

Man, what a bruiser, that thing would have sure given my squirrel killing wiener dog a run for his money.

Mike

Uncle Jack

I'm not sure that Boone & Crockett has a catagory for rodents. If they do, you're probably a shoe in.

uj

Basic Member

I'm thinking that this bad boy ate some squirrel dogs to get that big!!!

Three 44s

Basic Member

Were you hunting in the "Fire Swamp"? Clearly, R.O.U.S.'s do exist. Wow!!

ghogslugger

WOW might want to check if that can go in the Pope and Young record book. ??? LOL

dcloco

THAT is a large squirrel.

Evilospry

Nice beaver, Ha ha. My biggest one was not quite as "plump" I took it with a .17 HMR at 10feet and Was counting hair with my scope. I never had to clean him because he opened like a zipper. 28 inches long.
    [img width=600 height=361]http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz348/evilospry/photos/SANY0838.jpg[/img]

bryant5582

Trophy squirrel indeed. ;D I have a m69 trainer like that that I am fixin in up. Painting stock and drill tap for scope. hope to make at least one squirrel hunt with it this month.

Basic Member

Nice fox squirrel that has been feeding well, nuts and acorns and some corn for dessert.

Basic Member

Wow, you guys grow 'em big !!!

AVanGorder

I think a drug test is in order - I have a hunch he is on the juice.

rpavich

[img width=337 height=450]http://i822.photobucket.com/albums/zz145/rpavich123/Squirrel%20hunting%20nov%2011-12-2010/bobfirstredsquirrel11-12-2010.jpg[/img]

This is my biggest...(and 2nd) ever squirrel

Aircraftmech76

Quote Originally Posted by ghogslugger
    WOW might want to check if that can go in the Pope and Young record book. ??? LOL
    Since he took the animal with a firearm, that would be Boone and Crockett. He'd need at least a 80 LB. draw Matthews to anchor that monster. Gotta love the feathered missile! :-)

Kevin

bgc

Josh,
    Thank goodness you had a gun with you! With Bushy Tail that big, it aint safe to be out in the forest anymore.

2 dogs

Youre lucky he didnt decide to charge. You mighta been his next lunch! You might need to consider gettin' something like a 577 Nitro Express for your neck of the woods. You NEVER know.......

cgeorgemo

Now I'm sad I fed the red squirrel I got last summer to the farm's dog.
    He was a bruiser as well.