Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: love it but don't trust it.

thomae

Unless i am mistaking your meaning, one can't put a bearing on the firing pin side (muzzle end) of the spring because the straight piece on the end of the spring is needed to go down the firing pin slot and capture the cocking piece pin shaft.
    However, on the breech end, smoothing the spring end and the inside of the BAS (if there is a burr) helps a lot and is not hard. A thrust bearing that goes around the firing pin shaft shaft helps even more.

Basic Member
    No you're understanding me but I hadn't noticed the pigtail before. The bearing plate should be able to be fabricated with a leg to do the same job but I see now why they cheaped out. The part would need to be pretty tough and have a polished surface to avoid galling. Dern. I'm going to take my bolt apart tonight and see if I can't actually design the part. Then I'll let the design out and someone else can manufacture them.

Amistoso
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
    No you're understanding me but I hadn't noticed the pigtail before. The bearing plate should be able to be fabricated with a leg to do the same job but I see now why they cheaped out. The part would need to be pretty tough and have a polished surface to avoid galling. Dern. I'm going to take my bolt apart tonight and see if I can't actually design the part. Then I'll let the design out and someone else can manufacture them.
    That would be awesome of you!

fsr402
    Thought I would give an update on this.
    I got up to my hunting land in the afternoon of 11-14 opening morning was the next day. I went out to my blind and got things setup and then I set a pumpkin (about 6 inches in dia.) out on the next ridge. Ranged it at 160 yards so close enough. I then put 5 rounds thru the Axis without any issues. But being only 5 rounds I was still a bit leery of a misfire. So I left the gun in the blind over night and carried my old 30-06 out with me as a back up.

Here is my blind, I want to take down the little one in front of it but my old man wants to use it for turkey hunting in the spring.

Well, opening morning came and at 7:22 am I seen a deer come out of some pines to my left. I pull up the Axis take a quick peek and what do you know it's a buck. We don't see a lot of bucks around us, they all go nocturnal in October.
    Anyways it had antlers and I have an empty freezer. I knew that the area he was in was between 100-140 yards and he was moving closer to me. I set my parallax at 100 yards, turned the power up a bit on the scope (4-12X50 Nicon Buckmaster) and found his front shoulder. Luck have it he stopped and looked up at me. I moved to the back side of his shoulder as now I don't have to lead him any and touched it off. Axis fired as it should. Buck spun and ran over the next ridge and behind some pines and I lost sight of him.

I waited an hour then went for a walk. Found him about 200 yards from where I shot him. Lung and liver where hit hard and due to the angle he was standing Got just a bit of the guts on the way out but not bad at all.

He does not look all that big but he was just shy of 130 pounds dressed out. I would guess that the antlers are bad genetics, DNR aged him at 20 months.

Sunday morning I had three does come out. The last one was the biggest. I put the Axis on her as she stopped to check out the pumpkin that I had test fired on Wednesday. Then she started walking before I could get the shot off. My next opening was about 40 yards to the north and she was heading for it. I waited for her to step out, found the kill zone and fired. Axis did it's job once again. She ran hard, the other two ran but not like she did so I knew I hit her. Waited about 30 minutes then went looking for her. She had only gone about 30 yards and left a good 2 foot wide blood trail. Sold heart and lung shot. She was just a few pounds lighter then the buck but I did not take a picture of her.

In the end I hunted for 7 days only seen 15 deer total and got the first deer and the last deer I seen.
    The axis performed flawlessly and I really enjoy shooting it.
    Next week I will take it apart and start working on the new stock for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12