Thread: Any proven accurate loads for 308 5R Precision Carbine???

762X51

Any proven accurate loads for 308 5R Precision Carbine???

After dog cussing Savage for not being able to make a rifle they've been producing nearly 40 years, to actually feed and eject cartridges, well, I've returned to the fold. Not all in mind you, just enough to satisfy my desire to tinker without causing me to go on a murderous rampage. I recently bought a model 10 Precision Carbine with the 5R barrel. I installed a Burris 6.5X-20X-50 on it. The accuracy has only been marginal even compared to my pencil barreled Ruger M77 with only a 3X-9X scope on it. Yesterday I got a .650" 5 shot group out of the M77 while the best the P.C. has done for 5 shots is .800" but that was with 125 grain bullets and most 150gr and 168gr loads are 1.5"-3" in size. Does anyone out there have any tried and true loads for a 5R P.C.? Should I try some heavier bullets even with the 1:11.25" twist? I realized each rifle is an entity unto itself, but your good experience may also translate into my good experience. As Col. Townsend said "Only accurate rifles are interesting", and I'm losing interest in this one fast.

How many rounds down the barrel.Some of the savages can over a hundred rounds to calm down. I had one that did the same thing so I bought the tubbs final finish bullets and loaded them up and gave a whirl.After I meticulously cleaned the barrel9ALSO BETWEEN THE BULLET GRADES) i SHOT THE TIGHTEST GROUP EVER WITH MY SAVAGE F-CLASS. i KNOW ,IT ISNT A PRECISION CARBINE BUT THE PRINCIPLE IS IDENTICAL . Soryy caps lock stuck. Anyways the rifle woke up dramatically.It is only a stock barrel so no big loss if it made it worse. They only guarantee 1 moa anyways.One of my favorite loads is 42.0 grains of h335 or blc-2.You must work up to it first. I have also had good luck using the 8208xmr at around the same grains with 168 grain hornady match bullets naked for now.Some others have had great luck with sierra 175mk's and some of the berger hybrids at or around 168 grains.Consult loading data from the online manual if you dont have one right now.I also suggest buying the latest manuals from at least hornady,sierra,hodgdon.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Gmac5
    155 nosler palma ,40.0 - 41.0 imr 4895 fed match cases and primers seated as long as your chamber,or magazine will allow . This has been GREAT ,and is a mild load. ( in my gun )
    No brag,just fact

Basic Member
    168 grain bullet
    44 grains Varget
    Fed 210

Basic Member
    155gr Sierra BTHP, 41.5 grains of Varget, Federal brass, CCI primers, 2.675 COAL... This load rendered a 5-shot group of .468" out of my 10PC. Make sure that you double check that your receiver is torqued into the block correctly (if you are still using the Accustock), and make sure it is seated against the recoil lug tight. Give your rifle a chance to prove how boringly accurate they can be!!

Smooth loading from the magazine, easy on the recoil impulse, no hard bolt lifts... Nice day of shooting for ya!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]