Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Model 11 Lightweight in 243 Winchester ?

bcraig

Savage Model 11 Lightweight in 243 Winchester ?

Hi, I am thinking about buying one of these rifles but before I do I have a few questions. First how do they shoot with factory ammo ? I am a hunter so a 3 shot group is sufficient. How much does the 243 actually weigh and where can i buy one for less than list price?
    I am wanting a lightweight 243 and it is between this and a Kimber montana.
    Thanks
    Craig

nsaqam
    This is a Savage site, and I'm a Savage fan, but the Kimber Montana is a far superior rifle in every way.

nsaqam
    Here's a link to Davidson's Gallery of Guns.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...x?item=19206&t

click on "Instant Quote" to get prices from dealers near you.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post
    This is a Savage site, and I'm a Savage fan, but the Kimber Montana is a far superior rifle in every way.
    Not trying to start a flame war, but interested in learning. I have never used a Kimber Montana. Would you please elaborate on why you feel it is superior? Also, are the two rifles priced in the same range?

Team Savage
    I have the Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 260. It shoots like most Savages out of the box with consistent sub MOA groups. That's alot better than the two Remington Model 7 (.260, .308) that I owned before the Savage LW Hunter's was available. I would compare it to a Remington Model 7 in terms of size, fit and feel. Mine weights in at 7.0 lbs with Leupold V3 2.5-8x36 scope and Burris Signature rings. Street price was $715.00 when I purchased mine a little over a year ago. Go to Bud's Gun Shop to check pricing. It would be a nice little package in .243 with managable recoil. Certaintly more affordable than a Kimber Montana.
    Last edited by jpdown; 10-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.

The Kimber costs more and has a better extractor than Savage. Some folks like them some don't.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...montana-63717/

bcraig
    Called myself checking Buds but couldn, find the savage 11 Lightweight and any kimbers are out of stock !
    Thanks to all for the replies.
    Craig

Team Savage
    Search Bud's Gun Shop "Savage 11 LWH" The .243 is listed for $703.

Basic Member
    Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter. Lightweight, easy to handle, does the job nicely. My fiance just bought one, and she loves it. She bought the package rifle with the Bushnell scope. I am not crazy about the scope, but it too,does the job. She bought the rifle, and picked it up from my FFL for $420.00.

You can spend more money if you wish, but why would you??

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

bcraig
    Thanks for all the replies,I did find the Rifle at Buds Gun shop. Is that the best price to be had on the Internet?
    Where is the Least expensive place to Buy a the Kimber ?
    Also I noticed that the Savages listed the same weight for all the calibers but I am thinking the 243 would weigh more ,is that correct ?
    Thanks Craig

1ShotKing
    I don't see any reason why the .243 would be heavier than anything else that is also a short action.

1ShotKing

helotaxi
    A smaller bore means that for the same barrel length and profile, the .243 would weight more than a .260 or .308 simply because there is more metal in the barrel. For a relatively short, light profile barrel the difference won't be much.

ETA: In the case of a 22" barrel a .308 will have about .56 cubic inches less steel in the barrel than a .243. That equates to 2.5 oz.
    Last edited by helotaxi; 10-24-2012 at 11:54 AM.

hammie
    @bcraig: I browse a lot of shooting forums and there is some internet noise about the quality control and customer service from Kimber. Of course it is not the best policy to base a decision on anonymous chatter from a few disgruntled owners, but when the volume of complaints reach a certain level, you have to give them some credibility. Personally, if I were looking for a high dollar rifle and showpiece, then I would consider a Cooper. If not, then a remington 700, ruger 77, winchester 70, tikka T3, savage, or howa/weatherby vanguard will all work fine. Of that lot, the savage will be the best shooter out of the box...time and again. I would give the 2nd place nod to the howa/vanguard. If weight is a consideration, then I would look at the tikka T3. If you decide on a savage, but want it prettier, then look at the savage 14.

Just some suggestions.

bcraig
    Hi,thanks for the comments.
    I have 2 243 rifle already,one is the remington 7600 with walnut stock and the other is the 7600 in synthetic.Both shoot into less than an inch with factory loads,BUT the siren of and extremely light 243 calls to me!

hammie
    @bcraig: A happy co-incidence. I too have a wood stocked remington 7600, chambered for .243. The barrel heats up pretty quickly, but three shot groups exhibit amazing accuracy. However, the spongy trigger does require some "getting used to".

One rifle I have been longing for is the savage 14 , chambered for the .250 savage. The .250 savage will do everything a .243 win will do, and you will have a savage rifle, chambered for a classic savage cartridge. Plus the model 14 is nice to look at. Anyway it sounds like you have some fun decisions to make. Half the enjoyment of getting a new gun is the planning part.

Classic 14 in 250 savage all the way. You will never want to shoot a 243 again.

helotaxi
    There's plenty that the .243 will do that the .250 Sav won't. The .250 Sav is a great cartridge in its own right, but it died off while the .243 has thrived for a reason. As a deer cartridge within the range limits of the .250 they are essentially the same. Get into longer ranges or into lightweight bullets at high speed for long range varminting, and the .250 is grossly outclassed. It doesn't have a large variety of bullets to choose from. It lacks powder capacity. The .243 can send a higher BC bullet of the same weight at least 100fps faster. Again, trivial at close range but the .243 adds 100yds or so to the effective range.

FUBAR
    Newton was amazing and the .250 is a good example....if you decide on the .250 Savage, 22-250 brass is easy to neck up and works fine....The Classic is a fine looking rifle.

Plus the 243 vs 250 ballistics argument is relatively a moot point for these types of rifles. Out to 500 yards they are close to equals, and you have to ask yourself, what's the avg range of your hunting shots, and what's the max range you feel accomplished enough to engage animals at?
    Last edited by FUBAR; 10-26-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Basic Member
    While the 250 is a "classic" cartridge, I am not sure why. Never shot one, but I have owned and do own a 243. Factory loadings from each with a 22" barrel (most common, unlike 24 that most test with) and a 100gr bullet, will give about 2750fps from the 250 sav, and 2900 from the 243. Plus the 243 will have a higher BC and offer better penetration as a result.

Also keep in mind there is a ton of 243 loadings available out there. I got some federal 100gr loads a couple years back for $13 a box. They were super accurate in my Savage 243.

I say get the 243 like you first thought. Cartridges on paper and cartridges in the field are two different animals. Most folks I know of use bullets like the Sierra Game King 85gr BTHP for everything from yotes to deer. I have used it on yotes and when you hit them they drop, period. That bullet is traveling around 3200-3300fps and is flat shooting. It is also designed by Sierra as a medium game bullet. Place it in the heart/lung area of a deer and he will have no lungs, and unless you hit a shoulder, it will exit, leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow.

If that isn't good enough, try bullets like the 80-85gr Barnes bullets, or 90, 95 and 100gr Partitions, and place your shots where ever you want them. If you want to really smack varmints way out there, try the 75gr varmint bullets at about 3300-3400fps. There are quite a number of folks that have taken elk with them, with lung shots. If it were my only option, I would, but given other options I wouldn't take it in the field for elk, as a first choice.

It is more fair to compare the 243 to the 25-06 than to the 250 Savage, especially when you do an apples to apples comparison. Most guys will quote their 25-06 speeds with a 24 or 26 inch barrel, while comparing that to the 243 with a 22" tube. Brought down to 22" barrels, the 25-06 loses a lot of it's zip, which is common on overbore cartridges.

FUBAR
    It's "classic" because it was the first cartridge to break the 3000 fps in 1915. It was done with with an 87gr bullet, however Newton could not get the 100 gr bullet to 3000 fps.

As stated the .243 wins the numbers game but what does that mean? Did a ballistics model comparison.

I did not use equal BC bullets because, as stated, the selection is better for the .243. However I kept the Model 14 at 2800 fps because several gun magazines have done it with factory 100 grain ammo. Also I kept the barrel at 22" for the Savage and 24" for the .243....the Savage could close the gap a bit if went to a longer barrel?

I don't think these rifles were designed for real long distances in their current configurations, but they both do very well at 300 yards....

Let's look at the different ballistics in .243 Win Kimber Moutain, an a 250 Savage Model 14 (.257)

Using G1 model, 59 deg, 78% hum, 10mph 90deg wind

.243 100 grain Berger Target BC .475 MV 2900 fps

300 yards -12 inches -1.2" drift Vel 2300fps Energy 1200 ft lbs

500 yards -50 inches -6.25" drift Vel 2000fps Energy 880 ft lbs

.257 100 grain Barnes XLC BC .420 MV 2800fps

300 yards -13 inches -1.5" drift Vel 2190fps Energy 1100 ft lbs

500 yards -56 inches -7" drift Vel 1825fps Energy 750 ft lbs

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaqam View Post
    Couldn`t help but notice, You made such a blatant statement on Oct 21 and even after being asked to elaborate on such a statement,so far you have come back with nothing. You said " superior in every way".
    Please, Enlighten us, Could you give us at least 4 examples of Kimber Montana "Superiority" Maybe I`ll have to trade in my savage.

acemisser
    whats a good al around twist for the 243 if there is such a thing as a good around twist...

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard488 View Post
    Couldn`t help but notice, You made such a blatant statement on Oct 21 and even after being asked to elaborate on such a statement,so far you have come back with nothing. You said " superior in every way".
    Please, Enlighten us, Could you give us at least 4 examples of Kimber Montana "Superiority" Maybe I`ll have to trade in my savage.
    your paying for the name is all,,,like a john deere versus a sears....it's the name man the name...lmbffao

FUBAR
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    whats a good al around twist for the 243 if there is such a thing as a good around twist...
    I guess a 10, that will cover most of the mid to heavy spectrum of bullets available, I have a Shilen barrel for my change barrel Mauser with that twist....

1-12 for light bullets
    Last edited by FUBAR; 10-28-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Removed (not heavy) meant not light

FUBAR
    More info:

You may already use this, but here is a ton of info on .243 win loads--

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...topic=982860.0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast