Thread: go and no go gauges

go and no go gauges

98 Mauser in 7X57AI, Douglas bbl. and the action will close on the go gauge and not on the no go. Should the same apply to the full length resizing die? On mine the press will cam over with the no go. Die and press are RCBS. I would think it would be the same as the chamber of the gun.

You should never put a chamber guage in a sizing die, you could easily ruin the guage or the die. Just take a piece of brass and size it and try it in the chamber, if it closes easily put a piece of scotch tape on the head and try again if it is snug it is just about right if it is still loose adjust your sizing die. Using the no-go/go guage as you did means the chamber is correct only, now you have to adjust your dies to size the brass for your chamber.
    After the first shot the rest are just noise.<br /><br />Savage 219&nbsp;&nbsp; 22H<br />Savage 1920&nbsp; 250-3000<br />Savage 1899&nbsp; 25-35<br />Savage 99&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 250-3000, 308, 375Win<br />Savage 11&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 6mm-204<br />Stevens 200&nbsp;&nbsp; 223, 22-204, 25-204, 22-250, 250-3000

After full length resizing the bolt is difficult to close on an empty brass It will close but seems to me to require far too much effort.

Welcome to the site.
    To start, unless you purchas a custom die it will not match the chamber of your rifle. As mentioned before, never place anything in your die, except for brass, that needs sized. If the bolt is having resistance, then you need to adjust the die, (Turn it in.) so that it pushes the should beck more and gives you more clearence. Most reloading manuals recamend that you place the ram at the top, and then turn the die down untill it touches the shell holder, and then give it a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn more. With toalarences in the dies, and shell holders, you may need to try a different shell holder, to gain the needed lenght, to resize the die, and in worse case senerio you may need to remove a small amount from the bottom of your die, or top of the shell holder, to get it to the point it is pushing the shoulder back on the case.
    Patrick
    "To win in bench rest, you dont have to shoot small groups, you just can't shoot any big ones." ;)

Yes, I refer to it as caming over (Mechanic for 35 yrs) I was attempting to get a reference using prussian blue to assure shoulder contact. I was really floored when it did not make contact. I also have a 257AI which uses the same guages and a resized brass is about the same as a no go in the 7. I realize that you would not want to apply pressure with the gauges but I thought it would give me a good reference point. Another fly in the ointment is a dark ring approx. .060" above the shoulder/neck junction. Some are almost nonexistant and others are easily seen. I too think the shoulder is not touching the die. The 257 and std AI dies worked so well I guess I expected the same with the 7.