Thread: .223 to .308win

Mathias

.223 to .308win

I'm sure it's been asked or posted before, but I would like to convert my .223 axis to .308win. Aside from the barrel, I just need to switch out the bolt head and magazine, right? How hard is it to change bolt heads and what parts (extractor, ejector, firing pin, etc.) are/are not interchangeable between the 2 different heads?

Thanks for your time.

KPIZZLE
    Is that all there is too it?
    Try http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ for the parts.

sargescustoms
    For the price, I would just go buy another edge or axis in 308, I recently saw a used one in 308 at a local gun shop with what looks like a factory threaded barrel (didn't realize they made any like that) for around $250. I am soooo tempted to go pick it up, but I can't afford a divorce lawyer right now. j/k, there are some super good deals out there.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Barrel / bolt head change out is a relatively simple project. Personally, I think your best bet would be to access the tech articles on the home page. Lots of great, easy to understand info there. Including bolt breakdown info, I believe. I think you'll need to fork over the subscription fee - ($12-?)

Because of the substantial difference between the 2 cartridges and, because I also have a swap coming up (.270 to .223), I'm kinda interested in the answers you get.
    I suspect there's some firing pin adjusting to do because of the difference.

Good luck with your project.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Mathias
    Thanks for the input. I'm just in the planning stage right now. The reason I want to change my current axis over is because I want to get a heavy barrel, and to buy a whole rifle with the heavy barrel will not be cost effective... I already have a self made AR15 to shoot the 223/5.56, so now I want something with a bit more oomph out past 300y. Maybe I'll see if I can get the parts for myself for Christmas

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm just in the planning stage right now. The reason I want to change my current axis over is because I want to get a heavy barrel, and to buy a whole rifle with the heavy barrel will not be cost effective... I already have a self made AR15 to shoot the 223/5.56, so now I want something with a bit more oomph out past 300y. Maybe I'll see if I can get the parts for myself for Christmas
    .223 has no problems reaching 300 yards...let alone 600 yards..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    .223 has no problems reaching 300 yards...let alone 600 yards..

KPIZZLE
    Thanks guys

What if anything became of this????

Mathias
    I haven't done anything with it, I'll likely leave it 223 and buy myself a nice model 10FCP in 308 and let the kids shoot the axis on range trips.