Thread: Interesting day at the range...my $300 116 in 7 Mag!

762X51

Interesting day at the range...my $300 116 in 7 Mag!

So I'm at the range with a buddy Thursday and we have the place to ourselves. Later another guy shows up and shoots a little. We strike up a conversation and talk a little load development, hunting, you know the typical BS. He then asks if we know anything about Savage rifles, as he's sighting in one he had just picked up. It was a flat back stainless Savage Weather Warrior 116 in 7 Mag. He asks if we know what he could get for his rifle if he were to sell it. We discussed various prices and then he said "well then I should probably be able to easily get $300 for this rifle". I said "sure, I'll take it for that". I assumed there was something wrong with it but I just intended to use it as a project rifle. I half expected it to shoot 6" groups but he let me fire his last three rounds at a new target at 100 yards and they all went into just a little over 1". Since I loaded and ejected the rounds individually at the range I again fully expected the rifle not to feed or eject in typical Savage fashion. Again I was pleasantly surprised when it would feed and eject empty cases perfectly and forcefully no matter what speed the bolt was worked. It had a cheapo silver Simmons 3-9 that looked great on the combo but had a stripped screwhead on one of the cheapo rings. I cut the ring off only to find the front scope base was very loose. Once I cut the ring off I was able to tighten and Lock Tite the base in place and there's no telling how well this thing may shoot now with a stationary scope. The thing looks brand new and functions flawlessly. I think I did okay for $300.

Basic Member
    Great find! A buddy has a 110 in 300 win and that rifle shoots so well we stopped telling people about it- no-one believed us.

Keep us posted on how it does.