Thread: New Bushnell 3-9x40 broke after 37 rounds

DangerDanJD

Angry New Bushnell 3-9x40 broke after 37 rounds

I recently picked up Model 11 Hunter XP package in 308. The rifle comes with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope. I picked up the rifle on Wednesday and took it out on Saturday to put some rounds through it and sight in the scope for deer hunting which opens up this weekend where I live. When I returned home on Saturday and cleaned the rifle, I noticed the glass in the scope appears to have cracked or maybe an O-ring came out of alignment. I'm not sure exactly, and someone looking at the picture can probably tell me better. At any rate, I'm trying to send the scope back to bushnell but they tell me it's a 4-6 week turn around before they can check it and potentially get me a new scope.

First, this post is just to complain about the Bushnell dying within the first week. I had planned to replace it eventually but was planning to use the bushnell through this season. Second, can someone recommend a decent scope in the $200-$350 range. I will be using the rifle for deer hunting (Almost all shots within 200 yards and more likely in the 50-100 yard range) and some target shooting. I was thinking of at least a 3x9 and maybe something a little higher magnification for the range. I have access to a 1000 yard range but would realistically probably not shoot past 300-500 yards. I certainly am not looking for high end glass but want the best I can get in the price range. I was thinking of maybe going with a basic Nikon Buckmaster? I would appreciate suggestions.

Edit shortly when I can figure out how to post pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DangerDanJD; 11-13-2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Add photos

Team Savage
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...exviper6-20x44

The V Plex is $279.99 with free shipping.

1ShotKing
    The Bushnell scope on those package rifles are slightly better than nothing. I work at a Savage dealer. One came on an axis package, I took the rifle out of the box to show the customer and removed the elevation cap and the screws were missing in the black adjustment knob. It fell out first thing so needless to say the customer wasn't too impressed. My recommendation is to look at a Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD 3-9x40. For the price I don't think you can get a clearer scope, plus it has Rainguard which is a huge bonus. Its adjustments have proved to be fairly accurate, no trouble sighting in several rifles with that scope on them.

1ShotKing

DangerDanJD
    1ShotKing or anyone, do the savage bushnell packages come with the Bushnell "Banner" line scopes?

DangerDanJD
    Well, I was planning to upgrade it at some point, but it appears I will be doing so a little sooner then planned. I'm thinking of one of the following:

Nikon Buckmasters 3-9
    Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9
    Burris Fullfield II 3-9

I have seen all three priced at around $200. Can anyone with experience recommend one over the others or does anyone know of a current deal on any of the three? I will primarily be using the scope for deer hunting but will also use it at the range. Also, does anyone know of any current deals on any of the above? That may be the deciding factor. Thanks.

Basic Member
    yup, a banner.

I recommend a used bushnell elite 3200 if you can find one.

1ShotKing
    The scope on the package guns is NOT a Banner!! I sell Savage and Bushnell scopes. Trust me on this one the Banner, although an entry level scope is definitely superior to the Bushnell package scope. Bushnell currently has rebates on a lot of their products. Check it out.

1ShotKing

DangerDanJD
    1ShotKing, what rebate are you referring to? I looked on their website and it looks like the rebate ($75 for Elite series scopes) ran out at the end of October, although it is redeemable though November 15 for previously purchased scopes? Looks like without the rebate, the cheapest price I have found for the bushnell Elites is around $260. I'm kind of leaning towards the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 at $200, but I'm not sure if I can grab one by this weekend for opening weekend of deer season. I suppose the original scope would work even with the crack.

1ShotKing
    My mistake, I'm in Canada and we have a rebate that is valid til the end of 2012, $75 off all Elite, $50 off the Legend and $25 off Trophy XLT. I'd suggest the Elite over the Nikon. The Rainguard is a feature that really works and for a hunting rifle I wouldn't want to be without it after using it. Just my opinion. One thing about the Nikon, I have used a scope (Prostaff) with their BDC system and I find it blocks too much of your view around the center of the crosshair. Otherwise I found its optic quality to be better than the Trophy XLT but less than the Legend and Elite series.

1ShotKing

DangerDanJD
    Got home and it looks like the model of Bushnell that came with my rifle, the Model 11 Hunter Package, is something called a Bushnell Sharpshooter. Overstock has it listed for the whopping price of $33.99, which is about half the price of the entry level Banner series. I think it's the same scope that comes on certain Axis Models. Obviously, I'm not happy with the one I got, but perhaps most of them function better.

1ShotKing
    It is the same as the one on the Axis XP models. They are hit or miss. I had one on my rifle before and it's tracking was absolutely horrible, however after it was finally zeroed it did hold zero. Rife was a 22-250 so recoil was not an issue. Most of the people who buy a package rifle where I work with that particular scope on it will upgrade their scope right away and keep the bushnell for their kids 22.

I know it's too late now but a lot of people go for the Trophy Hunter XP which gives you a better scope (Nikon in the US, Weaver Kaspa internationally like here in Canada) and also the accutrigger for roughly $100 more.

1ShotKing

DangerDanJD
    Yeah, like I said I was planning to upgrade, just not immediately. Looks like the trophy hunter is a great package but I dont regret going with the regular hunter xp planning to upgrade both the scope and trigger so I didn't think I would benefit much from the accutrigger. I'm leaning towards the nikon buckmaster in 3x9 or 4.5x14 and my local walmart has them so I can grab one by the weekend. I'll send the Bushnell back and throw the replacement on a rimfire. Thanks again for all the info.

Basic Member
    I can't think of one scope that will work for both 50 yards and 1000 yards

1ShotKing
    No problem, best of luck with it all.

1ShotKing

DangerDanJD
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262 View Post
    I can't think of one scope that will work for both 50 yards and 1000 yards
    Me neither. As I mentioned, the longest shot I can imagine taking is out to maybe 400-500 at a range and most hunting shots closer to the 50-100 yard range. I would think a 3x9 or 4x12 could get me get me in the ballpark. I would think at 9 or 12 magnification I could go out to 300-400 but that is bast entirely off my best guess since I'm new to longer range shooting in general.

Grott
    I have the Burris, It's a nice scope for the money. I have looked through the Bushnell Elite on a friends hunting rig it was nice too once I found the right eye relief.
    He had a problem that year with it but it turned out to be his rings. Moral of the story is buy good rings and check them before zeroing and after so you don't mess up a good hunt.

DangerDanJD
    It looks like there are some pretty good black Friday deals that will be out there.

-Cabela's is offering the 3x9 Nikon Buckmaster for $169 (GanderMountain has it for $189).
    -BassPro has the Leupold V-I 3x9 for $169.
    -Sportsmans Warehouse has the Burris Fullfield II 3x9 for $149.
    -Dicks Sporting goods is offering the Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9 for $179.88.

That Nikon Monarch for $179 seems like a heck of a deal and I think I even have a Dick's giftcard somewhere around here.

rgburrill
    Check out the reviews at chuckhawks. He really likes Burris, and for good reason.

I have a few buckmasters and love them. For what you are wanting though I would suggest the newer prostaff series either the 3-9 or the 4-12. It will save you a little money plus they have adjustable target turrets for when you get a bit more comfortable and start moving out in range.

Basic Member
    you might look at the Sl line of Sightron scopes.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    I can honestly say, I have never had the bad luck of a scope just up and breaking physically. But i will say that a friend of mine has (2) 6x18x50 bushnell banner scopes one on a 250, the other on an Ar. and they both have seen some abuse in the field and they still shoot the box. as others have mentioned before go to the store and look through them before you buy them. Any more my wants outweigh my pockets ushually. For a deer rifle no you dont need a 36x scope but like i tell all my buddies getting into the shooting sport. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Thats the beauty of a variable power scope. Aim small miss small. let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.
    couple of savages

I have bought a couple of the Burris E1 scopes. They are an improved version of the Fullfield 2 and I have been very impressed. They are offering a $50 rebate through the end of December. Here's the best deal I've found going on the 3-9x40. http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-...0_p_19033.html
    After you receive the rebate you'll be in it for about $150
    I have found nothing that comes anywhere close to these scopes at this price point or even for nearly double the money.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.