Thread: "Unk's" 99

Basic Member

"Unk's" 99

About ten years ago one of my uncles called and asked if I would stop over to his house, but didn't say why. After a bit of small talk he left the room and when he returned, "I think its time you should have this".

Its a 99B 303 he bought in the early '30s, it was his deer rifle up until the early '60s when he acquired a sporterized 17 Enfield. It was made either in 1902/03. ( S/N 29.XXX)

Unk passed away two years ago at the age of 92. I got to thinking maybe its time the old warhorse revisited the mountains where it spent the majority of it's life in Unk's hands chasing the elusive whitetails.

I disassembled and gave it a good cleaning inside and out, probably the first in it lifetime then made a few minor repairs. The ivory post on the combo front sight was broken so I turned a new one out of brass, drilled and glued in a hickory dowel in small crack in the "ear" of the stock on the left side where it meets the action. Overall its as solid as the day it was made, not bad for a 100 year old rifle!

At this point I've only fired a few test load with 150s, but I have eight boxes of the old Winchester 190 Silver Tips to sight it in with.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to put one more whitetail to it's credit in a few weeks....for old time's sake!

Bill

thomae
    Very nice. I like tradition. Best of luck to you and Unk's 99. May there be a whitetail in your collective futures this year. Your Uncle will be proud.

Can't wait to read the story of you taking a deer with your "Unks" 99. Very coo.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

Basic Member
    Congrats on the family 99, it's a fantastic piece of history and a great shooter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for sharing Bill. Good luck on your hunt!

papawplinks
    Very cool 99 you got there! My 99 was given to me by my parents. When there is family history behind it, that is the coolest. I wouldn't take a million dollars for mine. Congrats!

Basic Member
    No matter what they sell for as collectables, a rifle like that with strong family connection is priceless.

mark

I'm crying here.

Thats a special order 1899, checkered pistol grip stock, and if you say the front sight was ivory and it has a vintage tang sight for that period of gun I'd say both those sights were custom ordered with the gun. Is it just worn or do I see some engraving on the receiver to?

The part I'm crying about is the sling swivels. I know you would never sell it because it's an heirloom but dayam, that just killed the value.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I'm crying here.

Thats a special order 1899, checkered pistol grip stock, and if you say the front sight was ivory and it has a vintage tang sight for that period of gun I'd say both those sights were custom ordered with the gun. Is it just worn or do I see some engraving on the receiver to?

The part I'm crying about is the sling swivels. I know you would never sell it because it's an heirloom but dayam, that just killed the value.
    Yes, the receiver is engraved. I don't have a closeup, but its a scroll type pattern the same on both sides. I'll try to get pic for you.

I'm not sure on the swivels, but the rear one looks like a "Rube" job. The base is attached with two screws and a Mike's(?) in it secured with a nut on the backside of the mount. The front one is weird too. It appears to have been made to do double duty, a sling swivel stud and forend screw. What is supposed to be there ???? I have Murry's book, but haven't really looked at it too much.

The front sight is this one...

The ivory was broken off flush so I turned a new one out of brass. Other than repairing the minor hairline crack in the stock and giving what I assume was it's first ever cleaning inside and out its as I got it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    It appears to have been made to do double duty, a sling swivel stud and forend screw. What is supposed to be there ????

Bill
    Not those. The front sling swivels would be an easy fix but unfortunately the rear will just leave a hole.

Looking forward to seeing the engraving.

If that was my gun Bill, I'd have it lettered by John Callahan the historian.

Basic Member

If that was my gun Bill, I'd have it lettered by John Callahan the historian.
    The engraving ....

The "Rubed" rear swivel... ( sorry for the crappy pic!)

The stud is secured with a nut inside the "loop", it doesn't contact or go into the stock. Was the mount portion original ?

Now that you mention it, do you per chance have Callahan's contact info? I thought about having it lettered, it was on my "Aroundtoit" list

Thanks much for the info on the "relic"!

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 01-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.

It appears your uncle had a nice taste for rifles just like you do Bill!

Bill, yes I have JC's info. I'll bet the house the letter comes back as a special order class AB. A style engraving with B style checkering. Make sure you let me know when you get the info back, I'll be curious to see what it comes back as. The letter will also state when it was made and who and when it left the factory bound for.

John T. Callahan,
    Savage Arms Historian
    PO Box 82
    Southampton, MA, 01073
    New address 2012

New prices as of 12/1/2006:

Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's are $30.00

Other Savages are $25.00.

Stevens are $20.00.

A.H. Fox Sterlingworths-$30.00.

Graded doubles are $40.00.

Send serial number and details of the item, allow 5-6 weeks for delivery.

Make payable to John T. Callahan

Basic Member
    Thanks much!
    I send J.T. the info and let you know what he comes up with.

BTW, a little history on it.

My uncle worked at what was the Olmstead AFB in Middletown, Pa. in the '30s. IIRC he bought the rifle in 1936 from an officer stationed there. When the war broke out he was sent to the base at Presque Isle, Maine and the 99 was in possession and used by my Grandfather until he returned home late 1945. While in Maine he "acquired" its eventual replacement, the 17 Enfield. In the early '60s he sporterized the 17 and the 99 was retired to a dark closet basically untouched until I got it about 40 or so years later.

Now, if I could just get it to talk!!!!

Bill

Be interesting to see where it was originally shipped to then!

I hear you, I've got a few guns I wish could talk.

1 of them is a model 1895 that was one of the ones sent for the New York military trials and the other is a model 1895 that I found in Dawson City up in the Yukon. Since it was made in 1896 and the gold rush started in 1896 I'm wondering if someone died climbing the golden steps and it's been there all that time.

Basic Member
    I'm wondering if someone died climbing the golden steps and it's been there all that time.
    ...and how many may have been on the wrong end of it and are still there!

BTW, the check is on it's way to J.T. As soon as he sends any info I pass it on.

Thanks Again!!!!

Bill

Basic Member
    MD,

John's letter on my 99....

Since I'm dumber than a fish on 99s what do I have?

Bill

It's just what John called it, it's a grade AA. Never really heard of an AA before, I've heard of AB grade but John has the ledgers in his hand so if he says it's a grade AA then thats what it is.

Nice to see that it lettered the same as how you still have it, except for the ****ed sling swivels. Hold onto that gun, you won't find another.

Basic Member
    Nice to see that it lettered the same as how you still have it, except for the ****ed sling swivels. Hold onto that gun, you won't find another.
    Well, a big Thank-You for all your help. All I knew it was a "well" used old 99.

I'll keep it as is, occasionally shoot it and one day pass it on to one of my grandsons.

AS I said, if we ever cross paths the beer is on me!!!!

Thanks Again!

Bill

Bill, if I ever get to PA I'll take you up on that, although I find U.S. beer kinda weak so we might have to make it two.

You've got a fairly rare gun there so cherish it, I've been collecting 1895's and 1899's for alot of years and still have not crossed paths with an engraved 1899 in Canada so feel blessed.