Here is the background on my rifle. I purchased a model 40 in .22 Hornet in March of this year. Pretty rifle and I like the caliber but it wasn't long before it began to fail to extract the cases. I took it back to the shop I bought it from, Grice, and they gave me the option of a refund or they would send it to Savage for repair. I chose the latter and the rifle was returned in April. I took it to the range and within 10 rounds, it was doing it again. I was so disgusted that I just put it back into the safe and forgot about it. Ok so I retired this month and now I have some time so I got the model 40 out and shot it some more. Same problem, after about 2-3 rounds it won't extract. I shot both factory ammo and handloads. I took it back to the house, cleaned and bore and chamber but got the same problem. The only thing that will come out of the rifle reliably is a very light loaded handload that is not the most accurate. I got back on the phone to Savage told them the whole story and they confirmed the rifle was worked on and told me to send it back again so it went out yesterday.

I found this forum in a Google search. My question: does anyone know exactly what the issue is with the model 40s extracting? It seems to be a common problem but I was unable to find the fix. Thanks for your help.