Thread: Looks like a new player on the Savage barrel market.

Basic Member

Looks like a new player on the Savage barrel market.

Black hole weaponry tells me that they're tooling up for Savage barrels (which would also mean remington I guess) and have testers out in the wild. If you don't know about them that's not surprising. So far I've only seen their barrels on AR-15's. They use 3 lobe polygonal rifling in their AR pipes and I'm pretty sure that's going to be carried forward to their full size rifle barrels. I have a few of their AR barrels and they're all sub-MOA shooters (well.. < .5MOA actually). I'll grant that they're shooting known accurate cartridges and that as a handloader I'm responsible for much of the accuracy but the barrel has to be in on it. I've put my request in for a 26" 7RM tube, you're after me.

I don't know that they'd like a ton of phone calls but they're pretty responsive to email. Drop em' a line and tell em' how excited you are. I'm sure that they'll appreciate knowing how much business they're looking at.

If HK91's can use it, why not a 7RM.

Basic Member
    That's great to hear. Thanks for posting.
    &quot;Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples&#39; liberty&#39;s teeth.&quot; ~ George Washington

Basic Member
    I had them build me an upper in 6x45 2 yrs back with the poly grooved bbl. It was accurate as all get out.

Glad to hear it, didn't ask them about it a week back when I was up there. They are just north of me, outside of Moses Lake. I'm not a fan of the 223, Nor AR's. But they do make a good quality product.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    my BHW 6x45 is probably the most accurate gun I own closely followed by my BHW 5.56. Amazing stuff. Got more detail from them, they're apparently capping at 24" tubes for now and are seeming to want some ideas of chamberings that people might be wanting. If you're looking for a barrel in the next year, you might give them a holler and let em know what chambering interests you.

helotaxi
    I haven't been able to get my BHW 6x45 AR to shoot worth a darn. I think I got the one lemon that they put out. When I've tried 6 different bullets and nearly a dozen powder and haven't gotten a load under MOA for 3 shots yet...

That said I'd buy another barrel from them.

Basic Member
    I'm just going to assume that it's not the nut behind the stick blowing them. I'm going to venture a guess at either a non-aligned chamber reaming or a buggered crown assuming it's free floated. Do you get the nice uniform triangle dispersion with just a wide group or erratic printing or?

helotaxi
    It's all over the place. It will show promise for a group printing an "OK" 1.2" triangle and then the very next group will be a big diagonal string 5" across followed by a 3" vertical group and then the next "group" all over the place. I thought that I had it settled in for a bit but then took it back to the range to find it all over the place. On Sunday evening, rounds started hanging up in the feed ramps. At this point I'm about to call BHW and see what they suggest.

Pretty sure it's not me. I've got several other ARs that I'm able to consistently able to shoot way sub-MOA. I do need to swap out optics to rule out a bad scope but if that isn't it, I'm out of ideas.

Basic Member
    I think your barrel nut isn't properly torqued or the scope is buggered. Any ability to shoot a tight group says the barrel is capable of it and not being allowed to do it. The mix of vertical and horizontal stringing and random placement and good groups says to me that it's definitely moving around. I'm betting barrel nut/fore-end. This isn't to suggest I'm any kind of expert.

helotaxi
    The barrel nut is torqued properly, but I'm probably going to tear it all down and reassemble it anyway to remove any doubt. The scope is a brand new Nikon Monarch so I'd like to think that it isn't the problem but I'm going to take a second optic in a different mount to the range with me next time to rule out that possibility as well.

FALFire
    Same here, I purchased a 24" 6x45 barrel from them a couple of years ago and I have yet to get the thing to shoot under 2 - 3 moa. I have had 4 inch groups at 50 yards with this thing. I have tried two different uppers, 3 different scopes including Ziess, Leupold Mark4 and Leupold VXIII. I have cut and recrowned the barrel to 20" changed gas blocks and gone through several varieties of powders, charge weights, bullets, primers, case brands and shooters..... The best groups have come from 58gr V-Max bullets and I still get fliers that cannot be explained but it will not shoot any other bullet or powder under 2 inches or more, even a .5 grain in powder difference will throw groups into 3 - 4 inches.

I have a 16" Oly Arms 6x45 that shoots under an 1 inch with just about every bullet or powder I try but the BHW barrel is a tent stake as far as I'm concerned.

I have no idea what to do now, I have given up on it several times and for some stupid reason I go back and try to make it shoot, I seriously doubt that BHW would be interested in dealing with it after it being so long since my purchase.

helotaxi
    Well, I tore the upper down last night. The barrel nut was good as I was quite sure it was. The scope was solidly mounted as I was quite sure that it was. As I was removing the muzzle brake to get the gas block off, I found that the jam nut on the brake was not tight. I wasn't loose enough that the brake was going to fall off, yet, but it was loose enough that it released as I was putting the wrench on the nut. The brake could move very slightly as a result. Might be my cause. I got the brake clocked correctly and the nut good'n'tight now. Back to the range this weekend to see if it made a difference. I wish I'd noticed that problem 200 rounds ago. Would have saved a lot of time and components.

Basic Member
    FALFire: no harm in asking...

Helo, glad there's one suspect down. LMK how it goes.

helotaxi
    My known good scope on what has and should have been a reliable QD base came loose at the range today. Of course I didn't have the correct size hex bit with me to tighten it. Before it started moving around the first 2 rounds downrange were less than an inch apart. Corrected a gross elevation error and the rifle started walking rounds left and right. Checked the scope and, sure enough, the rear ring on the scope was now loose.

Basic Member
    makey fixey and LMK. Interested to see the outcome with a nice snug sighting system.

brasse
    I want a Savage barrel in 6.8 SPC II. Looks like Black Hole will get my business. The 3 groove polygonal rifling is hot stuff for adding extra fps and being easy to clean, as well as accurate.

Most of the other savage barrel providers are using the outdated 6.8 SPC dimensions that really should not be used with new ammo.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
    makey fixey and LMK. Interested to see the outcome with a nice snug sighting system.
    Ok. GOt it settled down some and found that there is a problem with the barrel, or more correctly the barrel extension. The right side feed ramp is fine. The left side is a little on the narrow side with burrs at the top that will, best case, score the jacket of a round being chambered heavily or grab the bullet and jam the rifle. The result is that shots cluster into 2 groups about an inch and a half apart segregated by which side of the magazine the round came from. Each group is really tight, which gives me hope. Going to get to work with a polishing setup on a Dremel and clean the feed ramps up when I get a chance and give it another go.

Basic Member
    Just went out and tested some new rounds. 55grain soft points in 6x45mm moving at an average 3190fps. I was also doing something of a box test on the scope that's on the rifle (bsa sweet .223)

Groups:
    Started out with -1MOA right windage from old zero.
    1. 10-shot rapid fire BL-C2 : 1.62"
    Dial -6MOA right windage
    2. 5-shot slow fire BL-C2: .470"
    Dial +3 MOA elevation
    3. 5-shot rapid fire Varget : 2.95" (I was really just banging away on this group and the size reflects that)
    Dial +3 MOA elevation
    4. 5-shot slow fire Varget : .735"
    Dial -6MOA elevation, 7MOA Left windage
    5. 10-shot rapid fire Varget: 1.45" POI = 1" right of POA.

These groups were shot through a BHW 6x45mm 18" barreled AR-15.

After this I started in on the 7RM testing and some .45Cinderblock testing.

The 6x45mm loads were new loads for this rifle. I used BL-C2 and Varget with charges just under max and magnum SRP's. The rifle has a clear preference for BL-C2 which probably breaks down to more even powder charges thanks to the ability to throw them with great precision. Stick powders I dip and trickle since my RCBS and Lee powder dispensers refuse to volmetrically dispense stick powders with any sort of accuracy. I'm going to get completely away from stick powders I think. I've only ever had really great results with ball powders and they're so much faster to load.

For those interested, 7RM delivered .7" 3 shot groups with H-1000 and 154gr SST's from my long barrel Winchester M70. Not really happy with that load though. ES and SD was a little high and my Savage 110 refused to put them into less than 3" (maybe need a new barrel for that one).

On the super awesome side, my .45 Cinderblock wildcat delivered 4" 5-shot groups with peep sights at 100yrds. This was with 185gr Nosler JHP moving at 2050fps. It's shooting a little high at 100yrds and 25yrds though and I want a better front sight than the corn kernel that's on it now that I pulled off a 7x57 spanish mauser.
    Last edited by r3dn3ck; 11-25-2012 at 01:14 PM.

brasse
    I have a Black Hole Weaponary Savage barrel on order 6-8 weeks, ordered in 6.8 SCP II 20 inches

rattfink
    I hope 6.8 SPC II catches on. I think it might make a good first deer rifle for a son someday and maybe a carbine for myself.

brasse
    Real popular in the AR world.

helotaxi
    Who makes a 6.8 sized bolt head for the Savage? Not that I have desire for a 6.8SPC bolt rifle, but just curious.

brasse
    Pacific Tool and Gage, $49.50 many different custom bolt heads

Samson

Re: Looks like a new player on the Savage barrel market.

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    Who makes a 6.8 sized bolt head for the Savage? Not that I have desire for a 6.8SPC bolt rifle, but just curious.
    i just ordered a 6.8 bolthead from ptg last week and it was delivered yesterday. so about a one week turn around from ptg.

brasse
    From BHW
    The profiles we offer are Light, Standard or Bull. With the
    Sporter being a lighter barrel and Varmint a heavier

I ordered the standard in stainless machined finish with treaded muzzel for $297 plus $19 shipping. Barrel in 6.8 SPC II chamber 3 groove polygonal length 20 inches. Note many of the other barrel guys charge up to $120 for threading the muzzel. Come on!
    The bull barrel is $40 more. I didn't want that much extra weight for a hunting rifle.

Pacific Tools also sent my boly head in less than a week. Fine company.