Thread: What distance do you do your load testing,etc

acemisser

What distance do you do your load testing,etc

Just wondering at what distance most of you are doing your
    load testing..100 yards or closer or farther?

I guess 90 percent of mine is at least 200 yards or 250 yds.

A fellow at the range a few days ago told me it is not a good
    test at 200 yrds...What do you suppose he ment by that?
    He said 100 is the best..Is he right? If so why?
    Thanks for any remarks about this..John

stimpylu32
    It all depends on what you want the load to do and what your using it for , for a Deer hunting round that will be shot @ less than 70 yards there is no real reason to test it out to 200 , but to work up a load for Pronghorn were shots may be out to say 400 yards then you need to test them at that range .

When working up a new load I start at 50 yards and sometimes even less till I know were their hitting and how their going to group .

stimpy

Basic Member
    Another Acemisser keep the forum stirred up thread, who would have guessed? Just giving you heck. It's always interesting to see what new question you have come up with.

Initial load development, by me, is done at 100 yards. I live in South Dakota, so many of my shots at game are not at 100 yards or less. So, I take it out to as far as I expect to be able to take game. Antelope, I went out to over 850. I use the same load for deer.

We do the same for my dad's gun.

For an example, antelope this year were taken at 633, 435, 435 and 75. Averate shot 394 yards. Total shots 4, and 4 animals harvested.

It works for me. But, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

I care very little how anyone gets to the results. It's the results that matter. If it works for you and you are confident in the outcome of your shots, do it.

Back to your question as to who was right? Neither and both. He wasn't right for you, you were right for you. You weren't right for him, but he was right for him.

acemisser
    Jack--didn't realize my questioned offended you..I am sorry...John

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    A fellow at the range a few days ago told me it is not a good
    test at 200 yrds...What do you suppose he ment by that?
    He said 100 is the best..Is he right? If so why?
    Thanks for any remarks about this..John
    He is correct IF you are only shooting to 100 yards. You need to develope the load for the distance you are shooting. The best load at 100 yards is seldom the best load at 600 yards. Contrary to popular belief by some on here, bullets do move around during flight.

Basic Member
    Jack--didn't realize my questioned offended you..I am sorry...John
    Never said it offended me. In fact, quite the opposite. Humored me.

Basic Member
    since our club f class matches are held at 300yds and that is what i practice at i do all my load developement at 300 yds if and when we get a longer range(been talk about 500-600 yds range i will move out to there

I have had a couple bad 100 yard loads that surprise me at 300. Most start at 100 so I do not have to walk so far. But I have learned that things can change a lot after 100 and not to assume. So loads intended for over 100 are done at 300. ( my max target range available )
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

acemisser
    so then my 250 yard test is ok then?

FUBAR
    For my first time testing with a particular selected bullet/powder testing, this is my methodology:

Always start my load testing at 100 yards, if the MOA POI, velocity, ES,SD is good enough then I will move to a ladder test at 300.....then Longrange shooting/testing begins, may change primer, seating depth, neck tension, even powder charge (one thing at a time). Note: In the very first step, if the loads don't shoot well, MOA POI, then I never move to the chronograph....

If for some reason I try another powder and/or bullets I may condense some of the steps, it depends on target choreograph results.

Notes on how the rifle preformed with other rounds is always helpful

acemisser
    what do you shoot at a latter for? Is it a step ladder you hang targets on? I fail to get the point of shooting a perfectly good ladder..
    got pictures of this ladder? I know guys shoot at gongs,but this is really wild man..

FUBAR
    Just try to hit each step at 300 yards!

acemisser
    oh i see what your doing...i think i know where i can get an old one to try that sounds like good practice as well as fun

FUBAR
    Yea loads of fun....but not a technically a ladder test

acemisser
    i see.....so what is this ladder test thing..I have heard of it but never seen it done that I know of...

FUBAR
    Do a Google search and you will find variations on the method(s)

Here is a simple method:

Chronograph is highly recommended

Set up for a known distance say 300 yards--this distance may be your zero range or the range you plan on engaging targets

Start with a load at the low end of the powder scale for the bullet selected

Shoot said target, # of shots is a decision point, some shoot 3 ea, now record all data- walk or ride???

Increase powder by no more than .5 gr, repeat the above

Look for pressure signs each time

Contrary to popular belief high powder, high velocity does not always equal the "best" load, but it may

Your searching for the best load, at some point during the test your will find the best load for that powder/bullet combo

At some point you reach pressure issues or accuracy will fall off or both

May find that the load is not as good as thought

Variations of this are used extensively by Benchrest shooters to find a load for the range(s) they are shooting

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
    Do a Google search and you will find variations on the method(s)

Here is a simple method:

Chronograph is highly recommended

Set up for a known distance say 300 yards--this distance may be your zero range or the range you plan on engaging targets

Start with a load at the low end of the powder scale for the bullet selected

Shoot said target, # of shots is a decision point, some shoot 3 ea, now record all data- walk or ride???

Increase powder by no more than .5 gr, repeat the above

Look for pressure signs each time

Contrary to popular belief high powder, high velocity does not always equal the "best" load, but it may

Your searching for the best load, at some point during the test your will find the best load for that powder/bullet combo

At some point you reach pressure issues or accuracy will fall off or both

May find that the load is not as good as thought

Variations of this are used extensively by Benchrest shooters to find a load for the range(s) they are shooting

Make sense?
    Just to clarify, I believe that with the ladder test you are looking for a sequence of charge weights that group consistently, similar to the OCW method. This would give you an optimal charge that won't be affected by slight over-charging/under-charging or atmospheric changes.

An interesting article: http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspa...der/4529811360

FUBAR
    [QUOTE=nubrun;145360]Just to clarify, I believe that with the ladder test you are looking for a sequence of charge weights that group consistently, similar to the OCW method. This would give you an optimal charge that won't be affected by slight over-charging/under-charging or atmospheric changes.

Yes, I condensed it to the word "best" but you'er definition is more concise, the "best" even

acemisser
    do you shoot at the same bull every time as well or different ones up the paper as if you are shooting the ladder rungs...

[QUOTE=FUBAR;145362]
    Quote Originally Posted by nubrun View Post
    Just to clarify, I believe that with the ladder test you are looking for a sequence of charge weights that group consistently, similar to the OCW method. This would give you an optimal charge that won't be affected by slight over-charging/under-charging or atmospheric changes.

Yes, I condensed it to the word "best" but you'er definition is more concise, the "best" even
    It was a team effort>>

do you shoot at the same bull every time as well or different ones up the paper as if you are shooting the ladder rungs...
    With the ladder test you would shoot at the same target. With the OCW method you shoot at a different target for each charge weight.

FUBAR
    I use the same POA on the same target, but some will use separate targets, still using the same POA on each target. As the powder is increased the bullet will normally hit higher each time, hence the term ladder test.

Most of the time it's easy to determine which shot group produced the smallest MOA, with the lowest ES/SD

acemisser
    ok I got it now and I appreciate your kind replies...John

thomae
    Here's some additional information. If you google "ladder test" or OCW test you will find some good stuff.
    http://www.mikeswillowlake.com/the_ladder_test.htm

FUBAR
    Should say that, I use a variant of the Ladder to find my max load, and I record all that data.

oldman10mm
    I test at 100 yds.
    Per Federal premium ammo website ballistic data,a crosswind that deflects a bullet a certain amount at 100 yds will deflect that bullet 4 times the amount that it was deflected at 200 yds.
    For example from their site,their 270 Win. load with Sierra 150 BTSP Gameking into a 10 mph crosswind will deflect .7" @ 100yds, 2.7" @ 200 yds.
    If you can load test on a perfectly calm day,then distance doesn't matter. Why introduce such a load testing variable just to load test at an extra 100 yds.
    I'm just a 'paper puncher',I don't hunt. Once I find that load the rifle likes at 100,then I'll shoot further distances to determine trajectory.