Thread: Conversion question

ltrainer

Conversion question

I have a chance to buy a modle 10 270 wsm cheap. I would like to change to .308. Besides the barrel and bolt head, is there anything else I need to do to it? Is the wsm frame different from any other caliber?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by ltrainer; 10-27-2012 at 08:41 AM.

most are large shank ,which will make the common small barrel unusable
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ltrainer
    I wanted a heavy barrel for long range target. This is my first Savage. Im excited to get it. Is there any modification I need to do to the magazine?
    I see a lot of model 110 large shank barrels. Would that work?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by ltrainer; 10-27-2012 at 09:43 AM.

thomae
    Also, does the 270 WSM rifle have a controlled round feed action/bolt? (I don't know.)
    If so, it is a different type of bolt head than the "standard" pushfeed type.

Basic Member
    You're doing a long action to short action which is what I did with my .270 Win to a .223 Rem.

You need a new bolt head and a firing pin extension nut. SSS sells them for 10 bucks.

Also, you need to know if that .270 you're buying is an older model or newer. You can tell by the flat back reciever and the firing pin is thicker. If you do have the older model, then you need to tell SSS that you need the bolt head drilled out for the larger firing pin. If you plan on buying your bolt head somewhere else, then make sure it is for the older models.

Just when I thought that was all I needed, their was another thing that was different.

When Frank and I were putting the new bolt together, my savage bolt had an indention in the bolt that savage did. It stopped the new bolt head from sitting completely in the bolt. A few curse words were thrown around but he happened have to a newer stevens bolt laying around with no indention in it so we used that and it's been working fine.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Oh and if you're wondering why I keep mentioning this person name Frank, it's fgw_in_fla on here.
    Last edited by mattm0812; 10-27-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Normally you just dremel the indent off.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

ltrainer
    Time look else ware. Sounds like too much money at this point. Thanks for all the replies.

Why not just convert to a 7 WSM or a 6.5 WSM then? Either would be excellent long range rounds. A .243 WSSM with 1:8 twist would be very good as well. Any of these would get you well past 1K.

All you need is a standard SA firing pin assembly, SA bolt head, and a large shank barrel.

You don't need to do all the stuff that Matt said since you are starting with a short action.

The only other thing you may need to do is remove the standing ejector if it is a CRF action. It's as easy as removing the trigger.

It's an easy conversion. The only hard part is the large shank barrel.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    The only other thing you may need to do is remove the standing ejector if it is a CRF action. It's as easy as removing the trigger.
    Mr. Grinder, thank you for elaborating on my post. As I admitted, I have no experience with CRF Savages. Glad to know it is that easy to convert.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    All you need is a standard SA firing pin assembly, SA bolt head, and a large shank barrel.

You don't need to do all the stuff that Matt said since you are starting with a short action.

It's an easy conversion. The only hard part is the large shank barrel.
    Ahh I failed to remember that WSM stands for Winchester SHORT magnum...my fault.