Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor Brass Question?

6.5 Creedmoor Brass Question?

One drawback that I keep hearing about the 6.5 creedmoor is that only hornady supplies brass for this cartridge. On a different forum, I have noticed that individuals are using .22-250 for fire forming lapua brass into 6.5 creedmoor. I was wondering if one could just buy Norma 6 mm XC brass and neck it up to 6.5 mm. This seem logical, and a whole heck of a lot easier, but I must admit, I do not know enough on the possible minute details in dimensional variances between the two cartridges.
    Last edited by Geo_Erudite; 10-08-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Haven't tried it but in theory it should work. The XC was set up so you could use 22-250 brass so it should be an easy fire form.

acemisser
    what kind of accuracy are you getting with that 6.5 ?

Basic Member
    I am fixing to get a creedmoor and have noticed the same lack of choice. My question is has anyone tried using 250 savage (250-3000) brass? Wouldn't this be an easier form than 22-250 I noticed where midway carries winchester 250sav brass for about the same price as the hornady brass. It is due back in stock about the middle of next month and i think we all agree winchester is good brass.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    .....I noticed where midway carries winchester 250sav brass for about the same price as the hornady brass. It is due back in stock about the middle of next month and i think we all agree winchester is good brass.

Why would you spend the same money for brass that is lesser quality and you would still have to form?

Have built two 6.5 Creedmoor's and the Hornady brass was fine. Got excellent accuracy and lot's of reloads without a problem so I saw no reason to fire form something else.

There is a website for the Creedmoor. http://www.65creedmoor.com/
    Last edited by wbm; 10-31-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Basic Member
    The Hornady Creedmoor brass is excellent quality, and in good supply.

At the previously-linked 65Creedmoor site, there are a couple of members who have formed almost all convenient cartridge brass over to the Creedmoor. In short, MANY cartridges are do-able, with of course 250 Savage or 22-250 Remington being easiest (the Creedmoor is essentially a 250 Savage Improved case, necked up to 26-cal). However, every other cartridge tried ended up being shorter than minimum-spec COAL. Whether that's a problem for an individual shooter or gun is something I leave to each person to decide.

In the end, the Hornady brass is best quality, lowest-cost, and roughly equally available vs. every semi-convenient alternative.

M.O.A.
    No just the 22-250 ends up short all the otheres like 308 , 243 and such are long and have to be trimed before sizing ;-)

Heck there is even a guy making it out of 303 brit. for a handy rifle ;-)