Thread: Modifying Bolt Release

Basic Member

Modifying Bolt Release

Anybody know how to modify a bottom bolt release to a old style side release. I slightly modified my Duramaxx stock to fit the bottom br but it does not want to work half the time and I am having to take my stock off constantly and re-zero.

thomae
    I believe you would have to swap your sear with an older style sear with the bolt release lever on the top (It's all one piece) , and then make sure your stock was inletted for the top release lever.

Basic Member
    Not sure if that will work or not, my action does not have the flat side on it for the release lever.

thomae
    Oh. Whoops, forgot about that. You would have to mill that off the action to make it fit.
    The only other way I can think of would be to use your welding and fabrication skills to fabricate a new top lever for the existing sear. Be careful, however, as you don't want to remove the temper from the actual sear engagement area.

Basic Member
    Might be able to get a top style bolt release/sear and cut the bolt release button off and then angle it out some and weld it on that way. If I could just get this darn sss single shot load ramp to stay in, I would just leave it as is. I have glued it, taped it, used loc tight, but walking around the woods and hunting with it causes it to fall down in the mag well and I have to take the stock off and resight the gun in. Wish I would have known that about the bottom release before I bought it.

MrMajestic
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthntn247 View Post
    If I could just get this darn sss single shot load ramp to stay in, I would just leave it as is. I have glued it, taped it, used loc tight, but walking around the woods and hunting with it causes it to fall down in the mag well
    How can it fall down into the Mag Well? You didn't remove the follower and spring did you? The Follower holds it up! I have one in a Hinged bottom metal unit w/o a hitch.

82boy
    The factory sear/bolt realase are hardened, and if you try to bend it out it will break. I believe SSS has made some sear/bolt release just like your looking for. Usualy the SSS single shot followers fit tight, and usualy will hold in with just a stadic fit. You may want to drop a bit of epoxy on the fron tab, that should hold it in. The SSS follower doesn't use the follower or spring.

Basic Member
    If it's falling into an empty magwell, fill the magwell with a piece of foam.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."