Thread: 110 gr vmax and 308

Team Savage

110 gr vmax and 308

Superb.
    Got a reduced plinker load at around 2950.
    I have about 200 of these bullets laying around.
    Groups about 1/2-3/4"

I used the same 110 gr vamx bullet a few years ago in handloads in a 7.62x39 AR15 with good luck.
    About 2500 fps shot tight like 3/4" which was supurb for that rifle.
    Couple of neck shot deer kills.

Went out yesterday and thought I would try the 308 110 gr vmax for a neck shot since they shoot so tight.
    Have not killed a deer yet with 308 with that barrel.

At 100 yards left a 3" hole on the exit side on a medium sized doe.
    Pretty much bang flop.

Still load 130gr TTSX for large deer and hogs.
    Also shooting factory 180 gr remington for a hog brush load.

Same scope setting....
    110 gr vmax reduced load zero at 100
    130 TTSX 2" high at 100

Shootinsurveyor

Re: 110 gr vmax and 308

I use the Hornady 110 TAP ammo and have never seen deer go down as hard. I've only shot deer from around 60 yards with these rounds, but they literally get knocked over onto their side. Haven't had a exit either, but when you open them up to field dress, pure liquid mush.

spaniel

The 110 vmax is almost an explosive bullet. I'd be real, real careful what shots you choose with it. I foresee wide but shallow wounds.

They are pretty impressive exiting a 300WM at 3800+ fps, striking a milk jug of water and leaving a cloud of mist, but I have yet to find an exit hole in the plastic.

Basic Member

A while back I built a Savage that fired the 7.62x25 Tokarev round. It uses a .308 bullet which made finding bullets for reloading easy enough. It also had the advantage of being able to shoot surplus in a pinch if I wanted to. From the biginning the rifle was being built to shoot at subsonic velocities using heavy bullets but I did try a few lighter ones also. One being the 110 grain varmint bullet from Sierra. According to a program used to calculato proper powder, velocities and pressures my max load using HS-6 launched the 110 grainer at a little over 1700 FPS. The best part about his load is that it was extremely accurate, holding less than 3/4 MOA.

I also had visions of buying a Tokarev 33 or a CZ-52 then working it over into a "Tactical Tokarev" as I called it. Another option me and my smith cam up with is using a 1911 designed for a 38 Super. The Tokarev is so close in dimensions it would easlity work and be almost like a necked down 38 Super. If I ever do this the 110 grain bullet is what I will use. The Tokarev round would make a great self defense round if it had modern components. As it is, the little round will defeat soft body armor pretty easily with surplus ammo. It will even defeat a kevlar PASGT helmet easily.

In the rifle I also used everything up to 180 grains with good success. Using the right powder combines with the 24" barrel I was able to launch 180 grain bullets as quietly as a Ruger 16" barreled 10/22 shooting CCI Subsonic HP's. The energy levels were on par with 357 Magnum with no muzzle flash, even at night, and as quiet as a 22lr. This made shooting it fun because felt recoil didn't match the sound and most people who shot it jst shoock their heads and laughed. All this was done without the use of a silencer.

If you do a search for me you can see some of the exploits and odd stuff I used to do to see if it can be done.

Sorry for the tangent, the 110 grain Sierra varmint bullet is great.
    Dolomite

Team Savage

Yep 3800 fps would probably ruin some meat.
    Actually with a small deer heart/lung shot at 3000 fps it would still probably ruin meat. Reason for the neck shots.
    I have yet to try a heart lung shot with the 110 gr vmax and dont really intend to on a deer.
    Maybe I will try one on a small pig sometime just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by spaniel
    The 110 vmax is almost an explosive bullet. I'd be real, real careful what shots you choose with it. I foresee wide but shallow wounds.

They are pretty impressive exiting a 300WM at 3800+ fps, striking a milk jug of water and leaving a cloud of mist, but I have yet to find an exit hole in the plastic.

spaniel

Quote Originally Posted by tammons
    Yep 3800 fps would probably ruin some meat.
    Actually with a small deer heart/lung shot at 3000 fps it would still probably ruin meat. Reason for the neck shots.
    I have yet to try a heart lung shot with the 110 gr vmax and dont really intend to on a deer.
    Maybe I will try one on a small pig sometime just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by spaniel

Just to clarify I wasn't worried about losing meat, I was expressing a concern about lack of adequate penetration. The reason I use the bullet is because in all of the testing I have done it was about the most fragile .308 bullet I could find and I wanted something I could throw at coyotes and not worry about traveling 2 miles off a ricochet. I would think a 125gr Ballistic Tip may be a better choice for the shots you describe.

mctjeep

i shot a whitetail this past season with a 110gr v-max out of my 30/06. I figure i'm at about 3400fps. It entered low in the chest, took out the heart and some ribs and didn't exit.

It worked very well and i'm gonna try to find a load for it in the 300wby this year(i'm using the sierra 110gr varminter for it now.)

Team Savage

I have read other accounts of people using this bullet in 308 for whitetails with sucsess.
    It is explosive but apparently it makes it past the ribs.

Last guy I read about shot a 200# buck at 100 yards, chest shot. Dropped on the spot.
    Found the bullet fragmented on the other other side. No exit.

1Shot

At 100 yards left a 3" hole on the exit side on a medium sized doe.
    Pretty much bang flop.
    ...Wifey gets real close to that at 50yds. with Nosler 165 BT's..110's would be good to try on a yote..lol.. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by mctjeep
    i shot a whitetail this past season with a 110gr v-max out of my 30/06. I figure i'm at about 3400fps. It entered low in the chest, took out the heart and some ribs and didn't exit.

It worked very well and i'm gonna try to find a load for it in the 300wby this year(i'm using the sierra 110gr varminter for it now.)
    Years ago I used to load Sierra 110gr. HP in my 300 wby and from the manuel they were supposed to be around 4000 fps. I did not have a chrono then. You talk about red mist when you hit a ground hog, they spread them all over.

lwink

What powder are you using with these? I've just started playing, and have sort of settled on H4198, but don't know what velocity I'm getting. Do know it'll shoot sub 1/2 MOA no problem though and I'm looking forward to shooting some varmints with them. Always looking for new loads though.

Team Savage

H4198 is the powder to use in 30BR. Would be good in 308.
    Probably too fast in a magnum, but not positive about that.

I shoot a slightly reduced load anyway in 308 so I just use H4895.

okie2

H4198 is the powder to use in 30BR. Would be good in 308.
    Probably too fast in a magnum, but not positive about that.

I shoot a slightly reduced load anyway in 308 so I just use H4895.
    308 win
    Try imr 3031 39.5 grains with 168 grain hornady about 2550 fps no recoil at all good accurate load