Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Basic Member

Okay, got to the point where I want to add some weight to the butt end of the stock to counterbalance the additional weight of the front of the stock. When you guys spray in some Great Stuff foam into the butt end of the stock do you put anything like a small balled up rag into the stock first or do you just let the foam go as far as it can into the stock. I think what I'm seeing when I look into the butt (this just doesn't sound right!!), okay, when I look into the stock butt, (any better??), is the block for the rear trigger guard screw, should be nothing more than that, right?

Basic Member
    Oh, another thing; is there a danger the spray foam will force out the sides of the stock??

Basic Member
    Personally I used bonds body filler to fill in my stock because it takes the shape of whatever you put it in and can be sanded or drilled into later if you wanted to add weight or anything else. I thought it worked out great.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'd be careful & use less than what is needed. The regular expanding stuff can wreak havoc when it expands. the minimum expanding stuff is a little more forgiving.

You can always add more if the first application isn't enough. If you use too much & it causes the stock to split or bulge, you're up the creek.....
    I've used the expanding foam many times on the job & had it bulge drywall & even push a door frame out of plumb.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    BTW, does anyone do the stock forend reinforcing with the regular Savage rifles or is this just done to the Savage Axis/Edge "Flex-o-Matic" stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Okay, got to the point where I want to add some weight to the butt end of the stock to counterbalance the additional weight of the front of the stock. When you guys spray in some Great Stuff foam into the butt end of the stock do you put anything like a small balled up rag into the stock first or do you just let the foam go as far as it can into the stock. I think what I'm seeing when I look into the butt (this just doesn't sound right!!), okay, when I look into the stock butt, (any better??), is the block for the rear trigger guard screw, should be nothing more than that, right?
    I wouldn't go overboard with the weight thing because the trigger area is the real achilles heel of the whole shootin match--put enough weight at both ends and it could make the flexible flyer even worse. I have a plastic stock that came with my 111 (which I replaced with a a hogue overmolded full pillar stock) and it is much stiffer than the axis fleximatic though not an accustock.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    BTW, does anyone do the stock forend reinforcing with the regular Savage rifles or is this just done to the Savage Axis/Edge "Flex-o-Matic" stocks?
    I use a bipod 99% of the time so I did it to all my Savage factory stocks. Axis & 110.

It does little for the twisting of the stock but will help with bipod use or resting the rifle on a tree stump, etc...

Basic Member
    Okay, reinforced the stock forend in the 270 Win. in Savage 111 today, using Devcon, (and a "U" rail), and it flows much better than the JB Weld. Definitely prefer the Devcon over the JB Weld. Unfortunately didn't have enough Devcon so I had to finish the job with JB. Also picked up the Great Stuff spray foam for windows and doors (which is not supposed to expand as much as the regular stuff) so next week I hope to use that on the stock butt and I'll let you know how that turns out.

Basic Member
    Trying to spray Great Stuff (Windows & Doors) into the gun stock butt cavities but I'm ending up with large cavities in the foam inside the stock for some reason. I'm trying to spray in layers as the stock cavities are about 10/11" deep. I used either threaded rod or rebar in the stock for a bit of additional weight to counter balance the forends. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong re the foam insulation?

Basic Member
    With the stickiness of the foam I would expect it to be a little difficult to pack in a confined area - like in the stock.
    Are you using a piece of wooden dowel or rod to kind of "jook" it in & work out the air pockets? And of course, you're using the long straw / tube that comes with the can of foam......

As it expands, is it filling in the voids or does it not expand that much?

Basic Member
    No, I'm not using anything to work the air pockets. I put an extension on the end of the straw (4-5" long), so I can inject the foam right to the depth of the stock butt.

snipersyn
    I just completed this modification last night. Perhaps the most challenging part was starting the pilot holes for the steel dowels, but after using the excess length as the impromptu 'drill bit' the rest of the project was pretty straight forward. I was not able to acquire any of the epoxies used by other shooters in this thread. I would have liked to use the Devcon product. I ended up using the LePage Epoxy steel 8 minute set variation (which looked, smelt and handled like regular JB Weld cold weld epoxy). The epoxy was ready for sanding after an hour. After resetting the action back into the stock, I am pleasantly content with the results! The fore end is just solid now. The hollow knock is now a resounding thud when you do the 'knuckle knock' test. I shoot from a bipod as well and am anxious to test if accuracy has improved somewhat. I'm still on the fence on filling the stock with Great Stuff. But I wouldn't mind eliminating the hollow sound from it. Thanks all.

Basic Member
    As someone who filled the butt end with Great Stuff, I would recommend doing it. Add about a 5" tube on the end of the tube which comes with the can so you can easily reach into the deep end of the stock, and only fill several inches at a time so it can cure better. Helps to get rid of the cheap hollow sound, and just feels better. You may also add about 1/4 lb weight to the stock butt to offset the heavier forend.

snipersyn
    Alright, the OCD took hold of me again. I ended up doing the "Great Stuff" stock fill as well. 2 words: hella messy. The hollow sound is definitely more muted and knock test proves to be more solid this time around. No weight added though. So far, feels pretty good.

Basic Member
    Great post....ahhh another alteration! This looks like a good solution to the natural "flex" in the composite. Would this procedure affect aftermarket triggers? Just a thought...
    [B]"Fumeiyo Yori Shi"[/B]

Basic Member
    I put in four aftermarket triggers (Timney and Basix) in my Savage rifles and don't see how this would affect the triggers at all.

Basic Member
    Just so there's no confusion, that would be four triggers in four different rifles.

I cut my stock down a bit to shorten the pull somewhat--then put a pillar in the buttstock section which in turn is epoxied in--more or less the same thing I did to the foreend but bigger stuff. My 308 fires great--I could almost swear it actually dampens the recoil a bit. I'm not even sure I would want to switch to a wood stock now LOL. In fact, I think we need to vote on whether or not installing a wood stock on an Axis violates prime directive #2: "To further obsess over Axis primary characteristic of plastic stock lack of rigidity. It shall be required of Axis owner to pursue (and publish) whatever home remedy they can think of to modify said plastic stock so that gun shoots more accurately. The goal being not necessarily to improve the gun, but to indulge the owner's OCD need to fuss over the Axis in the hopes of making this a better world." : )

Basic Member
    Uhhhh... Therm?
    I got a headache reading that. For a moment I thought my lawyer was here.
    By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
    Questions:
    What did you use for a rod?
    Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?)
    Was epoxy used?
    Were you able to re-glue the emblem?
    And last, Did it work?
    Thanks.

PS - sometimes I think it would be easier to bolt the action / barrel to a 2x4....
    Maybe make a modern version of the 'ol zip gun.

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Uhhhh... Therm?
    I got a headache reading that. For a moment I thought my lawyer was here.
    By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
    Questions:
    What did you use for a rod?
    Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?)
    Was epoxy used?
    Were you able to re-glue the emblem?
    And last, Did it work?
    Thanks.

PS - sometimes I think it would be easier to bolt the action / barrel to a 2x4....
    That's my round about way of saying--messing with the Axis is half the fun of having 'em. : )

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    That's my round about way of saying--messing with the Axis is half the fun of having 'em. : )
    +1 Especially when they turn out into highly capable budget rifles!

Basic Member
    fgw_in_fla, great instruction and write up. I just completed this on my new 7mm08 and am quite pleased with the result. I would like to offer a tip for alternate for epoxy. I used bondo not the white filler version but the polyester resin. You get enough in a small bottle to complete at least two stocks and it flows very nice down over the rods and fills the voids easily without pushing it around with a popsicle stick. It has about a 12 minute working time and is cured hard in about 15 minutes but totally cured in a couple hours.

Thanks again for this great idea. I'm hooked on this stuff! My wife is complaining about the house being "smelled up" but she will get over it....

Basic Member
    Glad to know it worked out for you. I'm sure you'll enjoy that econo-rifle like the rest of us addicts.

Any improvements anyone makes on the procedure, don't keep it to yourself. If there's an easier way, lets hear it. Besides replacing it with the new laminate stocks that are available.

And tell the wife what I tell mine when she complains about the smell. I tell her "if you think it's bad out there, you oughta come in here & take a whiff."
    Be prepared to duck.
    Or have an attorney on retainer.
    Enjoy, happy shooting & Merry Christmas.
    Frank in Fla

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    By the way, which one of you guys did the stock grip reinforcement with a steel rod? (That was me, but I am sure others did it as well. ) In the interest of the continuing satisfaction of my addiction / OCD, I'd like to do the "shove a rod in the grip" thing.
    Questions:
    What did you use for a rod? I used 5/16" or 3/8" threaded rod that I just happened to have around the shop.
    Approximate angle of drillage? (drillage?) I have no clue. Roughly parallel to the wrist.
    Was epoxy used? Yes, JB weld on each end.
    Were you able to re-glue the emblem? Yes. I was careful when I took it off.
    And last, Did it work? Yes, as far as I can tell.
    Thanks.

And that's all I have to say about that!

Basic Member
    I thought it was you. Just wasn't sure.
    Since the time I asked that there's a few aftermarket stocks available. I'm considering breaking my vow of "keepin' it cheap" and trying one.
    I hear a few of the guys ranting about them. I may have to re-learn how to shoot an Axis without the flex-O-matic stock.

While I'm on the subject - Anyone know what the average weight is on those laminate Axis stocks?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast