Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

On my axis rifles I take the buttpad off--usually breaking the tab because it's a POS anyway and don't intend on "reopening" the stock. I do a similar treatment to the stock as the fore-end--I put a stiffening rod as far up to the wrist area as I can get it and then epoxy the rod at either end and fill the stock with a dense fire-retardant foam. My aim, so to speak, is not so much to reduce recoil as it is to reduce up and down flex in the stock when doing a cheekweld in aiming since the wrist area is really the worst offender in the overall stock flex zones.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Tack
    I ended up filling all the holes around the action with epoxy and then drilled up through the pistol grip out into the action area and the jb welded a bent piece of threaded rod from there down to the bottom of the grip. I think it made a bit of difference. Has eliminated a bit of the flex. But I'm starting to think that the old saying "You can't make strawberry jam out of pig s#!+" is quite true in this situation. Still, it's a great light little shooter. And I love playing with things.
    Tack

With my homebrew loads my modded axis 308 is now a joy to shoot and can do sub .5 MOA. It has a very nice balance and is easily handled and bring to bear on target with a sweet and simple 4 x 12 Leopold riflemen scope atop
    Last edited by thermaler; 06-26-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Basic Member
    Just doing my Edge stocks and some pointers:

Don't bother trying to go further with 1/4" rod than the front swivel post as there isn't room between the swivel post and side of the stock. (I can't even get 7/32" rod in that space so now I'll just have to make a short piece for the space between the swivel post and the front of the stock.)

Don't push that top square tang (for removing the butt piece) down more than 1/8". If you do, it will likely break....

Edge Tupperware stocks are a bit different from the regular 11/111 Tupperware stocks.

And now a question for the pros who have done this before. Would it be advisable to fill in the stock cavities that are around the pillar and recoil lug?

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Congrats...
    You've learned what the rest of us have using the trial by fire method.

I filled the voids on one of mine but I couldn't tell you if it helped. Have a go at it & let us know.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I'll fill mine in ....someday.....not now....because....more lessons learned:

JB Weld 6 minute epoxy set time is no thinner than JB Weld 4 hour set time. I tell you, you don't have to worry about the stock being level, that epoxy is so thick it aint goin' anywhere! I have to find Devcon somewhere in Canada! Hope it's thinner, then I can use that to fill small voids. And yes, I'm enjoying this! But I gotta find thinner epoxy.....somewhere....

I didn't make any big boo boos but next time gotta remember to put painter's tape on the side of the stock and the top edge.

Basic Member
    Acetone & a rag takes the goop off if you catch it as soon as you're finished pouring it. Send me your address. I have a sample of what might help a bit. As soon as I find my way back into my laboratory I'll get the name for ya.

Have a safe Independence day or whatever it's called in Canada.

Basic Member
    fgw, are you sure you want to ship something all the way to Canada? If you're in Florida, I'm guessing about 2500 miles north. Incidentally, we're having a bit of a scorcher right now, was about 90 degrees yesterday, near Winnipeg Manitoba.

Basic Member
    Scorcher? What's that?
    Are describing a spring day in Florida?

Besides, how much could it cost to ship a 3 - 4 oz. package up there? It's only money, of which I haven't much but what the heck.....
    You can PM that info to me if you so desire....
    Stay well.

Basic Member
    Ok, I'll do that; BTW, has anyone here tried Permatex? I'll PM you tomorrow as right now I'm getting late to take my wife to the airport.

Basic Member
    Roger.
    Drive safely.

Basic Member
    New to the site & did this mod to my .243. stiffened it up pretty nice ! Thanks for the great write-up !!
    -John

Basic Member
    Has anyone tried, or is anyone here familiar with the Permaoxy from Permatex? It's a five minute set and has a syringe to put the epoxy in small cavities. I am about to go and try it. Lepage has an epoxy that's described as "steel filled". Anyone familiar with that?

fgw: Next time I go to Home Depot etc. I'm going to look for the Loctite epoxy.

Basic Member
    Don't look too hard. You have one kit on the way tomorrow morning.....

And I never heard of Lepage steel filled. Kinda sounds French....

Basic Member
    lol (the french thing)

Basic Member
    "A steel filled epoxy for filling and rebuilding all metal surfaces". Exact quote on the website for Rona for the Lepage epoxy.

Basic Member
    I found a foam insulation product called Daptex which is supposed to be water soluble, hence hopefully easy to use, unlike the one use only can of Great Stuff spray foam. I'm going to try filling in the stock butt with this Daptex and see how it turns out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I found a foam insulation product called Daptex which is supposed to be water soluble, hence hopefully easy to use, unlike the one use only can of Great Stuff spray foam. I'm going to try filling in the stock butt with this Daptex and see how it turns out.
    Just hope you never have to remove it for any reason like adding a little weight.
    Remind me someday to tell you the story of a stock I filled with Liquid Nails & then decided to balance it a little better.....

Tack
    Hey, how bout you tell us that story of a stock you filled with Liquid Nails & decided to balance it a little better!!!

Basic Member
    I'm going to add a little weight to the stock (1/2 lb. ?) and then spray the Daptex foam insulation in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tack View Post
    Hey, how bout you tell us that story of a stock you filled with Liquid Nails & decided to balance it a little better!!!
    You want I should tell you about Liquid Nail when used as a stock filler?
    Ok, I'll tell you....

It doesn't HARDEN unless it has air....
    I pulled the pad off 3 months later, cut the crusty end open & all of this gooey Liquid Nail came running out. I had a major mess to clean up & the buzz from the acetone I used had me on cloud 9 WITH a nasty headache.

There.
    Now you know.
    I was stoopid.
    When in doubt, read the instructions.

You may laugh briefly.....

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    You want I should tell you about Liquid Nail when used as a stock filler?
    Ok, I'll tell you....

It doesn't HARDEN unless it has air....
    I pulled the pad off 3 months later, cut the crusty end open & all of this gooey Liquid Nail came running out. I had a major mess to clean up & the buzz from the acetone I used had me on cloud 9 WITH a nasty headache.

There.
    Now you know.
    I was stoopid.
    When in doubt, read the instructions.

You may laugh briefly.....
    +1 That IS funny : ) Lucky for you it doesn't catch fire--you might have been the first shooter in history to go down with an ASE--accidental stock explosion.

PS--I've done worse--and it wasn't funny either.

Basic Member
    Ya know therm, it's always the a good idea at the time. After the disaster, ya just gotta laugh.

Then, look for the number to the insurance company....

Basic Member
    Aha....I finally found some Devcon epoxy in Canada at Acklands Granger, quite pricey, almost $12 for 25 ml. It wasn't in the same package shown in the photos at the beginning of this thread, but it's a clear liquid in the 2 in 1 dispenser. Hope to try it soon to see if the mixture is thinner and flows better than the JB Weld. Will keep you posted.

Basic Member
    Hey Willy - If you're filling the voids, nooks & crannies in the grip area of the stock, have a piece of wire or paper clip handy to help work the air bubbles out. It makes it go a little quicker....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast