Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110 Light primer Strikes

GodandGunsCowboy

110 Light primer Strikes

Hello All,

I have a question someone can hopefully help me with. I got a 110 in 7mm reg, the serial is 413xx, so it's an older one. Took it to the range to day with a box of rem. core-lockt. 9 of the 20 rounds didn't fire and they seem to have light primer strikes. Two of the men at the range thought it might be a cracked firing pin, or that there was too much grease and dirt in the bolt. Any one have any other ideas? Still under the 30 day warranty from Gander Mountain, so will be taking it back for them to fix. Anyone have a similar problem?
    Last edited by GodandGunsCowboy; 10-25-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Basic Member
    I never had that problem, but I've sure spent a lot time cleaning others!

My first plan of attack would be dissembling the bolt and give it a good cleaning and go from there. Being a used rifle chances are better than not the only thing ever cleaned was the barrel and the outside.

Bill

Could be one of three things...

1. Ammo could be a little short compared to what the headspace is set to, allowing the round to be pushed forward a little by the firing pin
    2. Firing pin protrusion might be to short and in need of adjustment
    3. Firing pin spring may have weakened just enough after 50 years of use

First thing I'd do is try another brand of ammo just to see if that resolves the issue or not. If it does, the Rem Core-Lockt was the issue. If not, you'll have to have a gunsmith check the headspace and firing protrusion and adjust it accordingly.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    this will help you with #2 in MrFurious' post.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...rotrusion-Data

Team Savage
    If you can, pull the bullets to a longer OAL. That will hold the case head against the bolt head. After you change the OAL of the round, see if the FTF rounds will go bang. Once the brass is fireformed to your chamber, make sure you arn't pushing the shoulder back too far. (if you're reloading) And it probably would hurt to clean out the bolt, just in case.

Basic Member
    I caused this problem to myself once. Cleaned and oiled bore, put gun away for some time without wiping excess oil from bore. Oil drained into bolt-firing pin assembly causing sluggish strikes. Cleaned bolt and problem solved.
    Mr. Furious gave good advise, listen to him.

GodandGunsCowboy
    thanks everyone.

BillPA- I will be trying that

MrFurious- I was thinking it could be headspace, too. I'll try a different brand of ammo next time. Is there a certain brand you would recommend I try? I also didn't know quite how old the rifle was, so thank you for that info.

devildogandboy- thanks for the link, I'm planing on getting the rifle back to Gander for them to deal with, hopefully they don't screw it up...

Nor Cal Mikie- If I had any of the equipment I would try that. What does FTF stand for? I'm new to firearms.

farmboy- The bolt did seem to have an excess of oil on it, but I'm not sure how much it should have.

Team Savage
    FTF= failed to fire.
    I've had a few rounds that FTF (failed to fire). What was happening was the firing pin was pushing the rounds forward in the chamber (because the rounds were too short) and the primers not being hit hard enough to go off. Made the OAL of the round longer by pushing the bullets into the lands. That held the case head back against the firing pin/bolt head and when the firing pin fell, the rounds went off. Could be as simple as that. Once the brass got fireformed, no more problem.
    And if you're not reloading, try different ammo and clean the bolt, just in case.

GodandGunsCowboy
    yeah that would make sense. If it comes back from Gander, took it in tonight, still having issues I'll get oil off the whole thing and try some different ammo regardless. I'm not handloading yet.

Opus Dei
    Recently, I went through this. Bought a .300 RUM barrel, and my first attempt to fire failed. Ammo was Remington Premier Core-Lokt Bonded Power Level II 180 gr. A repeat strike also failed. Next round fired. Then I went through a random set of success/failure with the next six rounds.

I asked for advice on another forum and every technical reply presumed headspacing. I repeated the rebarreling procedure and had no better luck. Long story short, I called Remington and sent the box back; unfired dimpled cartridges, spent brass and untested rounds. Last week, I got a packgage and letter, and this excerpt is their findings.

"The head to shoulder dimension was below process minimum specification. This condition may cause the shell to crush up in the chamber as the firing pin strikes the primer and deliver a soft blow by the firing pin. The primer mix sensitivity was found to be normal. Sometimes our equipment acts up and we have to apologize."

Don't know if this helps, but you might find it useful for diagnosis, anyway. They did me right; the PPL II CLB was exchanged for some PPL III with 200 gr. Swift A-Frames.
    Last edited by Opus Dei; 10-25-2012 at 05:33 AM.

Gmac5
    Do you remember the lot # on the ammo sent in ? If so please post as others mite ruin a trophy shot with just a click and no bang.
    Thanks , Gary

GodandGunsCowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus Dei View Post
    Recently, I went through this. Bought a .300 RUM barrel, and my first attempt to fire failed. Ammo was Remington Premier Core-Lokt Bonded Power Level II 180 gr. A repeat strike also failed. Next round fired. Then I went through a random set of success/failure with the next six rounds.
    That sounds similar to my problem, no patten to the failures. How long ago was this?

GodandGunsCowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    Do you remember the lot # on the ammo sent in ? If so please post as others mite ruin a trophy shot with just a click and no bang.
    Thanks , Gary
    I'll check the lot on my box if I get it back (it's at Gander with the rifle right now) and post it.

Basic Member
    The rifle heaspaces off of the shoulder, not the projectile. Pulling the projectile will only push the round back into the bolt if you are forcing the projectile into the lands.. which will cause a pressure spike.

That said, the extractor is most likely going to hold the round back well enough for a proper strike.

I'd check FP protrusion and set it near max recommended (there is a how to on the front page). I'd clean the bolt and the FP channel (full disassembly), and I'd get your headspace checked to see if its off.

BeatCJ
    This is amazing. I just bought a 110 in .30-06 and went through a box of Hornady with 165 grain bullets with two failures. Primer dimple sure looked good to me, and I've been reloading for 30 years. It also has a serial number in the same range, 43xxx. Firing pin seemed clean. I haven't checked the headspace yet. I was going to check with Hornady to see if they wanted to examine the 2 shells. Thanks for bringing this up, and the suggestions on things to check.

GodandGunsCowboy
    Is there a thread or article on the disassembly of the old bolts and rifles?
    Last edited by GodandGunsCowboy; 10-25-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: addition

GodandGunsCowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by scythefwd View Post

That said, the extractor is most likely going to hold the round back well enough for a proper strike.

I'd check FP protrusion and set it near max recommended (there is a how to on the front page). I'd clean the bolt and the FP channel (full disassembly), and I'd get your headspace checked to see if its off.
    I don't think the ejector was pulling the cases back, and it really shouldn't have to be.

It will be getting a full cleaning when it gets back.

GodandGunsCowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
    This is amazing. I just bought a 110 in .30-06 and went through a box of Hornady with 165 grain bullets with two failures. Primer dimple sure looked good to me, and I've been reloading for 30 years. It also has a serial number in the same range, 43xxx. Firing pin seemed clean. I haven't checked the headspace yet. I was going to check with Hornady to see if they wanted to examine the 2 shells. Thanks for bringing this up, and the suggestions on things to check.
    I had 9/20 that didn't fire, so maybe my rifle started out like yours and thats why whoever had it before me sold it. I'll be sure to post the update when I know.

Opus Dei
    Thanks , Gary
    No, sir. In retrospect, I should've noted that. No telling how long that ammo was around @Cabela's; it wasn't a shopworn box, but that's not a high-demand caliber, either. I can say it has to have had some age on it, since the current Remington Premier PL ammo has a mini DVD in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by GodandGunsCowboy View Post
    That sounds similar to my problem, no patten to the failures. How long ago was this?
    My deal was over a period of ~early September to latter October. I bought the ammo after Labor Day and didn't get to shoot until next weekend. The failures prompted asking for advice on another forum, subsequent re-barreling, another test shoot and another Q&A. Ammo was sent back about three weeks ago and got the replacement late last week.

Opus Dei
    Thanks , Gary
    No, sir. In retrospect, I should've noted that. No telling how long that ammo was around @Cabela's; it wasn't a shopworn box, but that's not a high-demand caliber, either. I can say it has to have had some age on it, since the current Remington Premier PL ammo has a mini DVD in the box.

My deal was over a period of ~early September to latter October. I bought the ammo after Labor Day and didn't get to shoot until next weekend. The failures prompted asking for advice on another forum, subsequent re-barreling, another test shoot and another Q&A. Ammo was sent back about three weeks ago and got the replacement late last week.

Edit: Sorry for the double-tap. I got a message showing there was a problem, so I re-submitted.

GodandGunsCowboy
    Okay, so mine could have been from the same batch.

GodandGunsCowboy
    Gander said they have to send it to their gunsmithing center and I should have it back in 2-3 weeks.

Opus Dei
    Okay, so mine could have been from the same batch.
    Not the same brass, so not the same batch. 7RM is belted and based off .375 H&H. .300 RUM isn't belted and based off .404 Jeffrey.

GodandGunsCowboy
    oh yeah, I forgot you were shooting .300 RUM.

nwkman
    If you have changed the trigger and don't have enough over travel adjusted in will cause light strikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast