Thread: 12 VLP DBM Magazine Capacity

freeloader west

12 VLP DBM Magazine Capacity

I'm planning to buy a 12 VLP DBM chambered for 300 WSM (if I can find one). This would be my 1st Savage and I admittedly don't know too much about them, other than their fine reputation.

Looking around, I've seen some conflicting numbers for the ammo capacity of this gun in the 300 WSM. I've seen 2 in the mag +1, 3 in the mag + 1, and 4 in the mag + 1.

Savage's website says "ammo capacity: 4". I'm not sure if that means 4 in the mag, or 4 total, counting 1 in the pipe. Also, the website shows the same capacity (4) regardless of caliber. It seems hard to believe that the same gun would hold no more of the slender 223 Rems, than it would of the fat 300 short mags. Shouldn't it hold 1 or 2 more of the smaller calibers? That's why I wonder if the capacities shown on the website are accurate.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for an official round count from somebody who knows for sure, or maybe even HAS a 300 WSM.

Thanks, FreeLoader West

The WSM's are all 2+1 magazine capacity. Unfortunately Savage's website isn't all that accurate when it comes to the specifications tables. All the guns chambered in WSM cartridges use the same metal magazine surround, yet some are shown as having a 2-round capacity and others are shown as having a 4-round capacity.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

freeloader west
    MrFurious,

Thanks for such a quick answer. Since the magazine IS removeable, does anybody make a larger capacity box that maybe sticks down a little? Would this even be legal???

Thanks again,

Legal? Yes (depending on where you live). Does anyone make an extension or larger magazine for the WSM cartridges? Not that I'm aware of.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I know for a fact SSS doesn't. Rat may, but IIRC he was only offering the smaller 223 and 308 diameter mags in both short and long action lengths the last I heard (which was a month or two ago).

Basic Member
    http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.shtml

Here you go. I'm going to order one of these for my VLP. One of my co-workers bought one for his LRP and it is top notch!

freeloader west
    Thanks Guys. Killer stuff. I shot off an E-mail to Dark Eagle to confirm that their 5 round WSM mag will fit the 12 VLP for sure. I'll let you know what they say. Later

Basic Member
    It will fit. All the centerfeed DBM's use the same frame regardless of which model it is.

freeloader west
    efm77,

Thanks. That nails it for me. Now, if I can just find one (the rifle) for sale. I'm still looking for new, but that may change.

Please excuse my rookieness. I'm not very good at all the acronymic Savagese lingo, YET! But, I know where I'll pick it up pretty quick. Go Barrel Nutters.

Basic Member
    I've got the same model you're looking for and I got mine from Bud's Gun Shop online but I see they're out of stock right now. They ususally keep them in stock pretty regularly though so just keep checking.